This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Install KDE plasma 5.20 on Kubuntu (plasma 5.18)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

i'm looking after a way to upgrade KDE Plasma 5.18 i have on my KUbuntu 20.04 to latest version of KDE plasma 5.20.
I already have backports ppa in settings and did a "sudo apt dist-upgrade" but nothing has changed as i guess the KDE Plasma is not available in KUbuntu original packages for now.

How can i do that manually ?

thx,

Kubuntu 22.04 / kernel 5.15.x
KDE 5.24.5 / KDE framework: 5.95 / Qt version: 5.15.3
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

Kubuntu (as all debian based distros) have a version freezing as part of its concept. They will support this version of plasma for three years and never ship a newer one, just bugfixes and some „backports“ stuff. I do not know what the backports PPA does, but if you always want to use the latest plasma the easiest would to switch over to a rolling release distro like arch. You can use KDE neon too, which uses Ubuntu 20.04 as base.
Switching over to Kubuntu 20.10 would bring you Plasma 5.19 if this fits your needs.

The other way would be to compile plasma yourself using kdesrc-build. You have to keep track of updates and issues yourself this way and need at least 20G of free space using the systems Qt-Framework-Version.