This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Two login windows on Plasma 5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
scsever
Registered Member

Two login windows on Plasma 5

Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:51 pm
I'm getting two login windows on Plasma 5. This happens right after I login into my account from a boot up (splash screen) or when logging in from a locked session. The full screen login has a small login screen on top of it. It's been this way since installing my OS. I haven't been able to find any solutions in my various searches in Google or PCLinuxOS forum, so hoping the KDE forum has suggestions.
Lenovo w530 laptop in a dock but second monitor is not connected.
Display Manager: SDDM. Started with XDM, but tried SDDM to see is a different display manager would help.
Thanks for any help,
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Two login windows on Plasma 5

Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Weird, which exact Plasma and SDDM version? Did you try editing the SDDM theme in the System Setttings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Login Screen

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
scsever
Registered Member

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:03 pm
Thanks for the reply.
Below is what I have for Plasma and SDDM. I have not tried making and setting changes in SDDM, didn't see anything there that I thought might help.

Plasma- 5.20.0-1pclos2020
SDDM- 0.14.0-6pclos2017
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:42 pm
Hi!
I do not really know PCLinuxOS, but I know, that it comes without systemd. So perhaps you have to look how your system sets up the login, sddm could be double enabled, e.g. in XDM and elogind or similar.
scsever
Registered Member

Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:23 pm
I didn't see anything in the logs that indicates XDM is being used. The issue did exist when I only had XDM and GDM, I installed SDDM from a suggestion I saw in a Google search to determine if it could be a XDM issue. Based on that I'm not sure it would be specific to XDM or SDDM, but I can't say for sure.
I think I should go to the PCLinuxOS forum, maybe it's related to their version of Plasma 5.
Thanks to those that offered help.