This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Stuck battery indicator is crippling the power management

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fales
Registered Member
I am looking for help with what seems to be a bug in KDE power management, see below why I am using this forum instead of a bug report.

The problem is that after unplugging a laptop from its charger the icon in tray stays stuck on the charging state. Everywhere else I have been able to look, the system is reporting discharging. This includes the menu which shows when the icon in the tray is clicked. See an image

(the image is taken from another mention of the problem, url below). The real problem is that this somehow disables all notifications about low battery power and more importantly prevents the laptop from hibernating when the battery is almost depleted and hence can cause serious data loss and it also puts a lot of strain on the battery itself. The only way I have been able to temporarily reset the state shown in the icon is a reboot. Strangely the issue does not appear every time or more precisely only appears when the laptop has been plugged in for a longer period of time, when plugged in and out in a matter of seconds the issue does not appear.

I have found two other people mentioning the same problem: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/battery-icon-is-constantly-in-charging-mode/27605/8 and https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/ey39zg/the_battery_indicator_icon_is_frequently_stuck_on/fgf01ud/ with no solution.

The main reason why I have not used the bug report system is that the page https://community.kde.org/Get_Involved/Issue_Reporting states that I should not create a report if I am not running the current release of the software which I am not.

I am running Debian Bullseye (testing right now) with Plasma 5.17.5. I am not very comfortable about manually updating plasma outside of the Debian repositories and moreover I guess that it would not help the issue either. The reason for this is that there are no other mentions of the issue I have found and one of the other two people writing about the issue is running Manjaro which is bleeding edge and the report is only few days old (sure I do not know if the system has been updated recently).

Also, I decided not to fill a bug to Debian because the same issue is also on Manjaro.

Do you have a helpful piece of advice regarding that matter? Is the manual update and bug report any reasonable way to proceed? What process is the battery icon?

Thank you for your help in advance.
acutbal
Registered Member
I have the same issue, in my case my laptop runs Manjaro KDE. It happens since the change from KDE 5.19.5 to 5.20.2. I have set 80% as limit to charge the battery, this is a new feature of KDE 5.20.
Regards.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
can't reproduce this here on Kubuntu 20.10 with Plasma 5.19.5. I strongly suggest you guys report this to your distribution.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...