This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to change order of icons on system tray in Kubuntu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
adam14
Registered Member
Hello,
how to change order of icons on system tray, in Kubuntu (KDE Plasma 5.18.5)?
If I open settings of system tray, I can set visibility, but I can't move icons for change order.
Sorry for my bad english.
Thanks for answers, Adam14.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
It would make little sense to have a defined order in the System Tray, as it is dynamic and some icons only appear when necessary.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Saverio
Registered Member
In my opinion, it has sense to have a defined order in System Tray only for the visible icons.
The user should have the possibility to order visible icons for a better and intuitive experience; the system can handle the order for what is visible only.

Thanks.
shmu26
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:It would make little sense to have a defined order in the System Tray, as it is dynamic and some icons only appear when necessary.

Is it is now, the tray icons are in alphabetical order. In my system tray, I see Blueman, then Caffeine, then Flameshot, then Toggl Track, and then Yakuake -- all in alphabetical order.
So why not enable custom ordering?
terasinube
Registered Member
Saverio wrote:In my opinion, it has sense to have a defined order in System Tray only for the visible icons.
The user should have the possibility to order visible icons for a better and intuitive experience; the system can handle the order for what is visible only.

Thanks.

I agree with Saverio.
nfp0
Registered Member
I agree. It is very unintuitive to find the icons in different places every time I reach for the system tray.
forestedge
Registered Member
The desire for more comfort - here the desired icon sequence - is understandable. However, it must be taken into account that this:
a) means additional programming effort
b) can be an additional source of errors.