This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Icon and buttons not showing correctly

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DerGrosse
Registered Member
Hi everybody,

somehow after updating my distro my desktop like this:
http://research.awmw.org/tmp/screen34.png

Removing the plasma config files before starting did not help. I have the same problem on my login screen. When I use Gnome everything looks fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Alex
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which distribution and which exact Plasma version?

You should use a public image server like imgur, your picture is tiny and can't be resized, so no idea what we are supposed to see.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
DerGrosse
Registered Member
Sorry, for the bad image. The forum system asked me to share it low res ... but I can see it is quite useless this way.

My system:
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux ---> Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
Qt Version: 5.15.1
Kernel Version: 5.9.0-1-amd64
OS Type: 64-bit

This is how my taskbar looks like:
http://research.awmw.org/tmp/taskbar1a.png
or
http://research.awmw.org/tmp/taskbar1b.png

While it should look like
http://research.awmw.org/tmp/taskbar2a.png
or
http://research.awmw.org/tmp/taskbar2b.png

So actually I am not seeing icons at all. Instead I see dark areas.

I hope this illustrates my problem better.

Thanks,
Alex

P.S.: What would be the advantage if I use imgur?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The advantage of imgur is that you can resize the image. FWIW: please do not use the IMG tags as it will not display, just use the links

These look like icons that can't be displayed, so several things come to mind:

do you use an uncommon icon theme or Global Theme?
Are the icons supposed to be used in an uncommon location?
In short: what did you modify from the default appearance that could cause this?

Another possible culprit: the graphic card, if you have a NVIDIA card and use the proprietary driver: does this also happen with the free nouveau driver?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
DerGrosse
Registered Member
Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately using nouveau did not fix the problem. I use the "Breeze" global theme. AFAIK I did not change the default appearance.

In which directory are the icons supposed to be stored?

I even purged all kde, sddm, plasma and breeze packages (while using nouveau), rebooted, reinstalled them and rebooted again. It did not change anything.
Assuming the configuration of my account could be flawed I also added a completely new user to the system. Same problem with this new account.

Really strange :-(

Any futher ideas?

Thanks,
Alex
Mamarok
Manager
OS
That is really extremely weird, you should report this as a bug to Debian. I don't recall having seen anything similar yet.

If you use the default settings, you shouldn't have to worry for icon location, that is done by the distribution, I was just wondering if you were using some 3rd-party theme or had installed icons yourself.

DerGrosse
Registered Member
Many thanks again for your help. I am fortunately back to normal now.

It was Qt! I purged an reinstalled Qt completely and everything works again.

Cheers
Alex
raoulsnyman
Registered Member
DerGrosse wrote:Many thanks again for your help. I am fortunately back to normal now.

Cheers
Alex

Thank you! I was having this same issue, and re-installing Qt fixed it.
alejandrocp
Registered Member
DerGrosse wrote:Many thanks again for your help. I am fortunately back to normal now.

Cheers
Alex

Hi, I'm having the same issue right now, and I don't know how to fix it. My problem start when i install libqt5gui5. I already remove and purge all packages with *qt5, build-essential, qt5-default. Even reinstall plasma several times.
alejandrocp
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:That is really extremely weird, you should report this as a bug to Debian. I don't recall having seen anything similar yet.

If you use the default settings, you shouldn't have to worry for icon location, that is done by the distribution, I was just wondering if you were using some 3rd-party theme or had installed icons yourself.

How can I full reinstall Qt. I already do all things that I described on my other message.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
alejandrocp wrote:How can I full reinstall Qt. I already do all things that I described on my other message.

Please check with your distribution, this completely depends on what distribution you use.