This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How do I disable "Media Player"?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
shapirus
Registered Member

How do I disable "Media Player"?

Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:20 pm
How do I disable Plasma's "Media Player" thing altogether, the one in the following screenshot?

It is an extremely annoying feature. It intercepts my multimedia key press events, which I want to handle (like I always did) using a 3-rd party application. It uses them to control what I don't want it to control (namely, Firefox).

The plasma-browser-integration package is not installed. There are no related extensions installed in Firefox, either. I can't find any related settings in systemsettings. The media player's configuration window is ridiculous, it only has the standard Shortcuts and About entries.

I use KDE 5.20 on a Debian unstable system.

update: I have found that it is located in /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.mediacontroller. I guess I can simply delete all its related files, but it is certainly not the right way to solve this issue.

update2: if I remove its entries from ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, then it reappears there after plasmashell is restarted.

update3: I was able to stop it from intercepting the media keys by removing the shortcut definitions in the respective section of systemsettings. It is still running, however, being visible in system tray. I would still prefer to remove it completely.