This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Need advices to reduce memory usage on Plasma 5 (2Gb ram)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alan
Registered Member
Hello everybody,

I'm using KDE plasma 5 on a hardware with 2Gb ram. Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to 4Gb ram or more because the hardware is limited to 2Gb ram only. Furthermore, I want to use KDE as my desktop because I need some specific options of KDE plasma 5.

Do you have advices to limit the usage of the memory with 2Gb ram on Plasma 5 ? The disk cache (memory) take me many space, so sometimes I still have 100mb or less. As I've got a ssd disk, I don't use swap partition.

Thanks if you can help me.
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

As a general recommendation you can use either Kernel.org:zram or ArchWiki:zswap, which will save some memory. It uses more CPU then.
Next step is to avoid programs eating up a lot of ram, like firefox, libre office, etc., then disable unneeded things, like the compositor, any desktop effect and look&feel-stuff. This will not free much ram, but saves some power in general.

Which distribution are you running? There is a detailed guide on ArchWiki: Improving Performance