This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE plasma 5 shows the GNOME panel

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Kettle3D
Registered Member

KDE plasma 5 shows the GNOME panel

Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:10 am
Hello,

I first started using KDE Plasma with Linux Mint a couple of months ago, but moved to MATE when I upgraded to Ubuntu 20.10. About a week ago I installed GNOME (because why not?) and today KDE too. But when I log in to Plasma, it shows the regular KDE desktop, with the bottom panel and black cursor, plus the GNOME panel with the Activities button, time in the middle and indicator applet on the right at the top of the screen. When I press the windows key it shows a fully functional Overview window and my apps on the left, as if the GNOME shell is running as well...

It's not urgent, but I'd like to have KDE as KDE and Gnome as Gnome. Does anyone else know what's going on (or even just have the same problem)?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
That sounds weird, are you sure your installation is complete? I too have several desktops installed for testing but never had any panels from another one showing in Plasma. It is actually almost impossible to have a panel from another desktop, so something is definitely amiss in your installation. Which exact panels do you use (they have names in Plasma) or do you use Latte which looks a bit Gnome-like?

FWIW: see my signature, these details should always be given when asking a question in this forum, not everybody knows what exact Plasma version is shipped with which distribution and/or version of distribution.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Just asked in Plasma: you should check the autostart settings, could be that Gnome is somewhere in there starting alongside Plasma. Another check could also be
Code: Select all
systemctl --user

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Kettle3D
Registered Member
I have just ran that command, and the only GNOME thing in there was org.Gnome.Terminal, because I used gnome terminal to run the command.

[b]Edit:[/b]
When I opened KSysGuard, it showed gnome-shell running near the top.

So I killed it, and my window controls were gone, then I opened the Run Command dialog, typed in marco and that solved it.

Still strange that gnome-shell was even running...

Last edited by Kettle3D on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kettle3D
Registered Member
It looks like this: