This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE Plasma broken after update

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ngnewbie
Registered Member

KDE Plasma broken after update

Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:43 pm
I just did a sudo dnf update -y on my Fedora 33 KDE system and now KDE is completely broken after reboot.

Now when the system starts up, after I enter my password in SDDM I get a message: "The application kde5 has requested to open the wallet kwallet5. Please provide password"

I thought this was strange the first time, but then I saw KDE not even starting, my wallpaper did not load, the taskbar was not there. But I could use the terminal.

Hence I got the logs:

I found some misconfigurations after the update:

https://pastebin.com/raw/mnivS8ff
(This is the abbreviated log)

Full log below:
https://pastebin.com/raw/uiLWKLya

Those who don't want to look at the logs here are some interesting entries:

Code: Select all
sddm-greeter[1507]: QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
                                                         (Parent is QGuiApplication(0x7ffd15e6aeb0), parent's thread is QThread(0x562f0855f980), current thread is QThread(0x562f086f8c30)

sddm-greeter[1507]: QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
                                                         (Parent is QGuiApplication(0x7ffd15e6aeb0), parent's thread is QThread(0x562f0855f980), current thread is QThread(0x562f086f8c30)

sddm-greeter[1507]: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/01-breeze-fedora/components/UserDelegate.qml:69: TypeError: Cannot read property 'largeSpacing' of null
sddm-greeter[1507]: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/01-breeze-fedora/components/UserDelegate.qml:95: TypeError: Cannot read property 'gridUnit' of null

sddm-greeter[1507]: file:///usr/share/sddm/themes/01-breeze-fedora/components/UserDelegate.qml:75: TypeError: Cannot read property 'longDuration' of null

kded5[1644]: colord: "/home/sreyan/.local/share/icc/." is not an ICC profile

kded5[1644]: plasma-nm: Unhandled active connection state change:  1

kwalletd5[1693]: Application ' "kded5" ' using kwallet without parent window!

I need your help, as my system is almost unusuable.

Thanks,
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: KDE Plasma broken after update

Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:45 pm
Unfortunately you didn't tell the exact Plasma version, since I don't use the same distribution I would have to guess...

In general, problems after updates should be reported to the distribution, it is extremely hard to tell what went wrong as we don't have the list of what was changed.
What should be done of course is to make sure the update didn't miss something. Also booting on a previous kernel sometimes helps to get functionality back

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...