This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Was there a speed graph for file transfer in Plasma 5.4?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cipricuscprq
Registered Member
I have the impression that at some point in the past, some Plasma 5.x version included in notifications a speed graph for file transfer with Dolphin. I remember a notification pop-up similar to what can I see now with Plasma 5.18 but showing for file transfer what the network traffic graph showed in 5.4 for internet transfer:

That is from https://kde.org/announcements/plasma/5/5.4.0/, saying: "Useful graphs in Networks applet.The Networks applet is now able to display network traffic graphs. It also supports two new VPN plugins for connecting over SSH or SSTP."

I see no such "useful graphs" of any kind in 5.18. When were they removed? Given those of network applet were certainly there in 5.4, I wonder whether 5.4 or other version showed graphs during file transfer (copy, paste, move).

Last edited by cipricuscprq on Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
If the file transfer takes longer than a few seconds, clicking on the notification for the file transfer should give you the possibility to see the speed numbers (not a graph, but what matters are the numbers anyway). That has always been there

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
cipricuscprq
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:If the file transfer takes longer than a few seconds, clicking on the notification for the file transfer should give you the possibility to see the speed numbers (not a graph, but what matters are the numbers anyway). That has always been there

My question is whether in some past 5.x version there was such a graph for file transfer speed in the notification pop-up (similar to that of Windows 10, showing not only current numbers but their variation). I would say I'm sure I've seen it with my own eyes...

The image posted initially was about Plasma 5.4: https://kde.org/announcements/plasma/5/5.4.0/, saying "Useful graphs in Networks applet. The Networks applet is now able to display network traffic graphs. It also supports two new VPN plugins for connecting over SSH or SSTP."

Could it be that 5.4 had the file transfer (copy/paste) graph too?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The graph shown in the first post is in no way related to a specific file transfer but the overall speed of your connection, just click on the connection icon in the System Tray, then click on your active connection's name to see the same graph. This has always been there since I can remember, long before the long obsolete Plasma 5.4 :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
cipricuscprq wrote:My question is whether in some past 5.x version there was such a graph for file transfer speed in the notification pop-up (similar to that of Windows 10, showing not only current numbers but their variation). I would say I'm sure I've seen it with my own eyes...

I do not recall there ever being such a thing at all, though I could be mistaken. I have been using KDE since the KDE2 days, and I think I would remember this, but you never know.
You think there would be images of this if it had existed, I can't seem to see anything in a fairly brief search.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001