This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

plasmashell 5.8.9 desktop shortcut stuck

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
moldslime
Registered Member
Hi there;
I am using plasma 5.8.9 on Linux Mint 18.3.
I've accidentally dragged an icon to the desktop and it's been hanging out, stuck, on the top left of my screen for a while. Unfortunately, the icon is just far enough off the screen that I am not able to select it to remove like I could with other desktop icons.
It's not an actual file in the Desktop directory -- my ~/Desktop is entirely empty.
I figure if I poked around the plasma configs I'd end up finding it, but also likely losing my settings, and that someone else likely will run into the same issue as me anyways. How do I go about fixing this?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I strongly suggest you update your computer, Plasma 5.8.9 is heavily outdated, the currently supported versions are 5.18. LTS, 5.19.x and 5.20.x

The LTS version support is 18 months, for Plasma 5.8.x this has run out 2 years ago.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
moldslime
Registered Member
Hi, thanks for your response.
I understand that the plasma version I am using is quite out of date.
Linux Mint 18.3 uses the Ubuntu Xenial LTS packages, which include an out of date version of Plasma (not to mention that LTS ends in just a hand full of months)
If I understand correctly, there is a KDE Neon repository which also uses the Ubuntu 16.04 package base. I need to stay on the 16.04 base due to software that I use for work that's woefully out of date that I have failed to cross-compile for a newer distro. But even doing so, that version of KDE Neon is no longer maintained and the plasma version likely also out of date.
I would attempt to understand the newer packages myself but am worried that I would put myself in dependency hell if I do so.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
moldslime wrote:Hi, thanks for your response.
I understand that the plasma version I am using is quite out of date.
Linux Mint 18.3 uses the Ubuntu Xenial LTS packages, which include an out of date version of Plasma (not to mention that LTS ends in just a hand full of months)
If I understand correctly, there is a KDE Neon repository which also uses the Ubuntu 16.04 package base. I need to stay on the 16.04 base due to software that I use for work that's woefully out of date that I have failed to cross-compile for a newer distro. But even doing so, that version of KDE Neon is no longer maintained and the plasma version likely also out of date.
I would attempt to understand the newer packages myself but am worried that I would put myself in dependency hell if I do so.

No, there is no longer a 16.04 based KDE Neon. There are no packages for it in their repos any more.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
moldslime
Registered Member
Well, that's probably a pretty good indication that I will be sticking with an unsupported version of Plasma for the time being, unless there's a suggested pathway to updating the DE on 16.04 without package issues! But I'm guessing there probably won't be, and that's okay :)