This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma Crashes, black screen "qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
orlfur
Registered Member
Hi!
I started my laptop and after splash screen there is no desktop, all is black and only the nextcloud syncing windows pops up. So it's completely dead. What should I do?

UPDATE:
ok, I manage to access the terminal where i tried to restart plasmashell (I am running Kubuntu 20.10), and i get the message:

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.pluigin: could not load the qt platform plugin "xcb" in """ even though it was found
this application failed because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You can always restart plasma in this manner:

Code: Select all
killall plasmashell
plasmashell --replace &

FWIW: did you try using a different kernel? I had this a few times and had to disable Kdeconnect which triggered the issue, since the current -38 kernel it runs without glitches.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
abc72656
Registered Member
plasmashell --replace
returns same output (mentioned in initial post) as
kstart5 plasmashell

But if one can do Alt+Tab in visual interface (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and find opened terminal window, then it works. But not from within shell Ctrl+Alt+F5.
Maybe this is normal behavior ("could not connect to display"). If so, what is the correct command to r€start KDE Plasma from shell (Ctrl+Alt+F5)?

If KRuner is responding use keyb. shortcut:
Left Alt+spacebar

paste:
kquitapp5 plasmashell && plasmashell

hit enter. it restarts the Plasma on background. If kquitapp does not work, then: "killall plasmashell"

I hate outdated KDE bug tracking system, i like Gitlab.