This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

all icons have disappeared

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fluca
Registered Member

all icons have disappeared

Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:47 pm
Hi all,
running Kubuntu 20.04, after an update of some software (python related, hplip) my icons have disappeared from anywhere: no icons in the menu, in the panel, no background, no icons in any application. Everything has been substituted by a black box, evne in gtk based applications.
The system is working fine, but I'm unable to get my icons back.
What I've done so far:
- reinstall plasma-workspace
- changed icon theme and even tried to download a new one
- changed workspace theme
- do a full system upgrade (apt dist-upgrade)
- removed icon pack breeze and install it again
- tried to log in as another user
- tried both running on wayland or not.

I have also noted that event the splash screen is empty, that is no graphic is displayed. On the other hand, dolphin is able to display icons in the usual way, so it appears to me a problem of the widgets of the desktop.

Plasma is 5.18.
I do have small icons in toolbars and application menu, it seems to me something has screwed with the rendering engine.

Any suggestion on how to debug and resolve this? Since the system is working fine I would not like to reinstall it from scratch.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: all icons have disappeared

Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 am
What did you change from the default installation, especially which exact Desktop Theme and Icon theme do you use? Is it a default Kubuntu installation or an Ubuntu one with Kubuntu-desktop on top?

What is your graphic card, did you change anything in the rendering engine?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
fluca
Registered Member

Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:48 pm
My distro is a pure kubuntu, and I'm using breeze dark as theme and icon theme.
My graphic card is an intel integrated, I'm running on a lenovo T410p.
I haven't changed anything at all, but after I installed the HP printer software, I got this behavior.
I've tried to reinstall the kubuntu desktop, plasma workspace and even the oxygen theme without any success. The fact that even the wallpaper has become a black box (it was a centered image, so I have a box and the background color on the edge) sounds to me like a rendering issue.
There are no errors in .xsession-errors.
I've try to nuke the .kde directory, without any success. I could try removing .config, at least to understand if this can help but I doubt since even a new user is not able to get icons.
fluca
Registered Member

Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:45 pm
A few details: all icons are missing also from krunner, but the digital clock is visible in the panel.
My system:

Code: Select all
% lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

An example of how discover looks like (and the same for the rest of applications/desktop): https://ibb.co/WysCPTc.
And this is how the system settings appears as: https://ibb.co/6XsH0rS.
I'm really frustated.
fluca
Registered Member

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:41 pm
After a full system upgrade (from kubuntu 230.04 to 20.10) and the consequent installation of plasma 5.19 I've improved the situation a litte: now a few icons appeared, for example in discover, but the panel is still missing all the icons, as well as kickoff and krunner.
I've tried again to change icon and main theme without any success.

Here it is how it looks like: https://ibb.co/LNm3NTg.

At first I was thinking this could be an icon only problem, then I saw that the splash screen has no image at all and that also buttons become black boxes when mouse is over.
Suggestions?
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:40 am
Hi!

Could you provide some more information? The T410 series has nvidia and intel chips by default afair:
lspci -nnk | grep -A3 "\[03..\]:"

If it shows more than one «graphics card» it probably uses the nvidia optimus stuff. Then show
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
# and
DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep OpenGL

to know which drivers currently are applied.
foursixnine
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:09 pm
Hi, I just installed kdenlive and had the same problem (Well, icons didn't disappear, they were just painted in a very non visible color, as I just have installed the app...)

I fixed it by going into: Settings -> Color -> Default and the same for the Style: Settings -> Style -> Fusion (and then I picked default again)... and they're there :

Kdenlive
Version 20.12.1
openSUSE Tumbleweed
fluca
Registered Member

Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:05 pm
foursixnine wrote:I fixed it by going into: Settings -> Color -> Default and the same for the Style: Settings -> Style -> Fusion (and then I picked default again)... and they're there :

Thanks, but in my case it it does not appear to be a theme setting, since as shown in the image all the icons are painted with a black block.
It could be also worth noticing that other desktop environments, at least gnome and xfce, are working just fine even with icons from kde applications. So I don't think this is a problem of graphic card or configuration, sounds rather as something broken in kde that prevents the desktop to display icons (as icon path not found).