This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change Print-Screen behavoir

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mfoley
Registered Member

Change Print-Screen behavoir

Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:02 pm
I just upgraded to KDE5 from KDE4. In KDE4 the print-screen button launched Ksnapshot which had a 'send to' function that let me send the image to Gwenview. KDE5 launches Spectacle by default. There is no 'Send to' function. Instead, I have to Save, then 'Open Containing Folder, then click on the saved image. When done I have to delete that image. CThis is more work than I want to do. Apparently, Ksnapshot does not ship with my current distro (Slackware-current), but is there a way to either have print-screen send the screen shot directly to Gwenview or launch something with the functionality that Ksnapshot used to have so I can just 'Send To' the image to an application like Gwenview?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Change Print-Screen behavoir  Topic is solved

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 am
Don't bother looking for Ksnapshot, it was not ported to Plasma 5. Spectacle is the replacement for Ksnapshot on Plasma now, and for me it works correctly, I can export to Gwenview without problems. Could you be a tad more specific on your exact Plasma version? I suspect you do not have the Kipi plugins installed

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mfoley
Registered Member

Re: Change Print-Screen behavoir

Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:12 am
Thanks for the response. I didn't check the "Export" button as I thought that was for, well, exporting! It didn't occur to me that it would launch a program as well. In fact, that appears to be pretty much what Export does. The Export pop-down is a list of programs. I just need to re-adjust my vocabulary. In any case, Gwenview is listed and selecting that does open Gwenview with the print-screen image.

On the down-side, the 'Export' process always saves to disk first, then runs Gwenview with the saved file. Ksnapshot just passed the image directly to Gwenview (apparently) without saving to a disk file first. With Spectacle, I have to remember to 'Open Containing Folder' (currently ~/Pictures) and delete the saved image. I guess I'll just have to make the adjustment.

I do have the kipi plugin installed, version 20.12.2

Sorry to be a noob, but how do I determine my Plasma5 version? I think it's 5.21, but that's a guess based on distro package numbering.

Distro is Slackware-Current (15.0) kernel 5.10.19. Likewise not sure how to determine my KDE version.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:57 am
KSnapshot also saved the image to disk before opening Gwenview.
You can see your Plasma version in the System Settings at the bottom: System Administration -> System Information. There is also a button that allows to copy this information to the clipboard. Alternatively you can open the Info Center as a standalone which has the same information and removes that information from the System Settings.

In my case I get this:

Operating System: Kubuntu 20.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
Qt Version: 5.14.2
Kernel Version: 5.8.0-44-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 12 × AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics
Memory: 62,3 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD RENOIR

There is no "KDE version", it is either Plasma, or the libraries which are called Frameworks. KDE is the name of the community, the Deskop Environment (DE) is called Plasma ever since version 4. Sadly distributions still call the DE this way, which is just wrong.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mfoley
Registered Member

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:04 pm
Thank you for that useful info. My System Information shows:

Operating System: Slackware 14.2
KDE Plasma Version: 5.21.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.79.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.10.19
OS Type: 64-bit
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NV106

So, my guess as to the Plasma version was correct. Interesting that the OS says, Slackware 14.2. It's not. It 15.0 a.k.a. Slackware Current, which is pre-release/experimental, so perhaps they just haven't gotten around to renaming something.

Also, thanks for the info on KDE versus Plasma. I didn't know that. I thought KDE was a distinct component like Cinnamon, gnome, unity ... but I see when googling Linux desktops that it's listed as "KDE Plasma 5". Again, good to know.

As to Ksnapshot - if it saved to disk I wasn't aware of it. Perhaps it auto-deleted the disk image when closed? Who knows, doesn't matter any more! :)

Thanks again!