This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to expand text selection till the start\end of a word?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Epidemia
Registered Member
On Windows, when you put a cursor anywhere inside a word, you could press Shift + Ctrl + Left Arrow or Shift + Ctrl + Right Arrow to expand selection till the start\end of the word respectively.

On Linux with KDE Plasma 5, those shortcuts work just as you haven't pressed the Ctrl key - they simply expands the selection one character more. Moreover, they switch my input language, since Ctrl + Shift is a shortcut for that in my Plasma settings.

What is a shortcut to expand selection till the start\end of a word in KDE Plasma 5? If it's not set up by default, how can we set it up?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The combination of Ctrl+Shift does not change the language, the default shortcut is Alt+Space, unless you changed this...
Word selection completion is done the same as in Windows, Ctrl+Shift + left/right arrow, those are defaults all over Desktops AFAIK.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Epidemia
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:The combination of Ctrl+Shift does not change the language, the default shortcut is Alt+Space, unless you changed this...
Word selection completion is done the same as in Windows, Ctrl+Shift + left/right arrow, those are defaults all over Desktops AFAIK.

You're right I've moified the default shortcut for changing languages to Ctrl + Shift. I've just tried to change it to something else and Shift + Ctrl + Left\Right Arrow started to work.

However, some shortcut other than Ctrl + Shift to change languages is so inconvenient to me after decades of using it on Windows, that I'd like to keep it if there is a workaround to make it work together with the word selection shortcut.

It seems the issue is that KDE doesn't wait any other keys to be pressed as soon as it senses the programmed language change shortcut (Ctrl + Shift in my case) and any other shortcuts starting with the same keys are actually broken.

Is there a way to force KDE to use the 'key up' event of 'Change Language' shortcut keys instead of the current 'key down' event?