This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Broken lock screen

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wyris
Registered Member
OS

Broken lock screen

Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:13 pm
I have an issue with Plasma's lock screen. Every time the screen gets locked all I see is a black screen with a cursor on it. The only way to get out of this situation is tty. The problem is exactly like in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/i ... th_cursor/

Is there still no fix for this?

Distro: Debian 10
Kernel: 5.9.0-0.bpo.2-amd64
NVIDIA driver: proprietary 460.56
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Broken lock screen

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:23 pm
Which exact Plasma version is this about? Keep in mind that you using Debian, it's quite likely this is already solved in a newer version, as Debian doesn't ship the latest instalment in its stable branch.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
wyris
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:33 pm
Mamarok wrote:Which exact Plasma version is this about? Keep in mind that you using Debian, it's quite likely this is already solved in a newer version, as Debian doesn't ship the latest instalment in its stable branch.

Hi Mamarok
KDE Plasma Version: 5.14.5
KDE Framework Version: 5.54.0
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:38 pm
I suggest you take this to your distribution, only they have the capacity to backport such issues, your Plasma version is rather outdated.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
wyris
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:54 pm
Mamarok wrote:I suggest you take this to your distribution, only they have the capacity to backport such issues, your Plasma version is rather outdated.

Unfortunately, from what I see online there are no plans on backporting it.
What's interesting is that I didn't have this problem before I reinstalled Debian.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:04 pm
Did you try another kernel? Apparently there seem to be issues with kernels after 5.4 with power management. Would be interesting to see if this is related

wyris
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:55 pm
Mamarok wrote:Did you try another kernel? Apparently there seem to be issues with kernels after 5.4 with power management. Would be interesting to see if this is related

Tried booting 4.19.0 (with the newest NVIDIA driver) and then installing the driver from Debian's repository but, unfortunately, still no luck.

I also get an error message when I try to configure screen locking through System Settings:
Error: Could not load: file:///home/user/.share/local/plasma/look-and-feel/Nordic/contents/lockscreen/config.qml:2 module "QtQuick.Controls" version 2.5 is not installed

Could it be connected to my issue?

Also interesting:
Code: Select all
$ /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet --help
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet --testing
OpenGL vendor string:                   NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string:                 GeForce GTX 1060/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string:                  3.2.0 NVIDIA 418.181.07
Driver:                                 NVIDIA
Driver version:                         418.181.7
GPU class:                              Unknown
OpenGL version:                         3.2
Linux kernel version:                   5.9
Requires strict binding:                no
GLSL shaders:                           no
Texture NPOT support:                   no
Virtual Machine:                        no
Could not create scene graph context for backend 'opengl' - check that plugins are installed correctly in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins
Locked at 1615845741
file:///home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/Nordic/contents/lockscreen/LockScreenUi.qml:62:5: SessionManagement is not a type

However, I've managed to get a working lock screen (at least in --testing) with
Code: Select all
$ /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet --testing --theme /home/roman/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/Breeze
wyris
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:26 pm
Changing the theme to Breeze (or Breeze Dark) fixed the issue for me.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 am
Please report the issue to the author of the theme that had the problem so they can correct it

wyris
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:02 am
Mamarok wrote:Please report the issue to the author of the theme that had the problem so they can correct it

I believe the problem was not with the theme itself but with the Plasma installation (I installed it via tasksel) since Nordic wasn't the only theme that broke the lock screen for me. Could be because themes that are downloaded through "Get New Looks..." are simply incompatible with this (outdated) Plasma version for whatever reason.

Anyway, thank you for trying to help.