This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Variable Number of Virtual Desktops Per Activity

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pdreyer
Registered Member
Hi everyone! I have what's hopefully a quick question. I'm currently on KDE 5.14.5 and am looking for a way to rename my virtual desktops per activity. On a semi-related note, is there a way to have a different number of virtual desktops per activity? It's not a deal breaker by any means if there's not, however it'd be nice to be able to tweak that as well.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
No, there is no way of having a different amount of virtual desktops per Activity, but then, having different activities with one virtual desktop is probably what you should try. You can name your activities.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
m-ar-c
Registered Member
Hi,

thanks for the answer Mamarok. But, like pdreyer,
having different activities with one virtual desktop
is not what I need :) . Different names and different number of virtual desktop per activity would be very useful. In the current state, activities are useful but virtual desktop not so much ( very confusing to not being able to name desktops or to have X desktops for an activity that rather needs Y ) . And if virtual desktop aren't very useful then activities are not much more than renamed virtual desktops IMO.

But maybe I want to do things the wrong way or know not enough about KDE, tips and workflow suggestion welcome.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Workflows vary and usually are very personal. I can't really suggest anything specific, just tell how I use the activities and desktops:

I have 4 virtual desktops, with some applications running on all, some only in one specific desktop. Of course you can rename the desktops, don't know why you think you can't? Mine are called Main, Media, Office and Games.
Then I use 2 different activities, the Default one using the Desktop layout, the second one I called Work which has the Folder View layout configured to my Work folder and a different Wallpaper than the Default activity. When working for my day job I use this activity mostly with a very limited amount of applications very specific for my work (e.g. no Games or Media, therefore those two Desktops will have nothing inside and will not be used).

I almost always use the mouse to navigate between Desktops and/or Activities, having set the Activity Switcher and Desktop Pager in the panel for easy access.
Of course the way to navigate varies for other people who prefer shortcuts for this, I use shortcuts only in applications or to navigate between applications.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...