This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Laggy desktop experience under high GPU usage

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
theunknown
Registered Member
Hello.
So I wondered whether it's normal that the desktop experience as a whole is very laggy under high GPU usage. For example, when I have any game running with unlimited framerate the cursor is laggy, and when I unminimize a program I can watch it start rendering from the top to bottom because of how slow it is. Annoying me most is probably that when i scroll in Firefox it's choppy to the point where my incoming discord sound is choppy as well so I can't understand anyone. When I limit the framerate of the game the experience gradually improves the more I limit.
I also want to mention a possibly unrelated phenomenon where sometimes, even without running a game, when I tab out of an application the desktop becomes extremely laggy (including mouse and discord sound), until i tab back into the application. And afterwards I can tab out just fine. But I don't really know how to reproduce this so take it with a grain of salt.

The issue is not something that came recently, always had it.
No related errors in the system log as far as I can tell.
It happens with and without active compositing.
I also tried a fix with ForceFullCompositingPipeline or so a few weeks ago and that didn't improve anything.
I use up to date Nvidia drivers (1070 ti) Intel CPU and X11.
And my distro is arch.

Any ideas are appreciated.