This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Broken icons and shortcuts after cloning user's dekstop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
karlhendrix
Registered Member
I have a spent a good deal of time customizing the desktop of my main Kubuntu user and want to make multiple users with the exact same desktop (same quick-launch configurations. widgets and taskbar shortcuts). I have used a script found from another forum (https://pastebin.com/Y8AQQ1GQ) to clone the original user's /home/ORIG-USER/* folder into the new user's /home/NEW-USER/*. This script uses rsync to clone the directory, then it converts all permissions to the new user followed by changing the filenames that contain the original username to the new username. The script successfully clones the quick launch and shortcut screen locations and config but fails when executing them. The error when these mapped shortcuts are clicked is the following (APPLICATION is whatever shortcut I click on):

Sorry - Plasma
Unable to make service APPLICATION executable, aborting execution. Existing file "/home/ORIG-USER/.local/share/applications/APPLICATION.desktop

I have verified that the new user's /home/NEW-USER/.local/share/applications/ directory contains the expected shortcuts, although the actual physical shortcuts themselves seem to still map to the original users (as proved in the error msg). What is going wrong here and how can I fix this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help!