This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to disable drag and drop for taskbar icons?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sevensixtwo
Registered Member
I have my taskbar on the right side of the screen. My active window's scrolling slider bar is usually over there too and I often drag and drop icons when I don't mean to. Then when my icons are out of order, it jams up my workflow. How can disable drag and drop taskbar icons? KDE Neon 5.21.

Mamarok
Manager
OS
You can pin the icons, try the Right click and you will see the option

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
sevensixtwo
Registered Member
Mamarok, My question is about how to disable the drag and drop behavior of the icons I already have pinned to the taskbar. Could you please add words to your answer so I can understand what you mean? As you have written it, it seems like you're referring to the option which chooses whether or not the icons remain in the taskbar even when the linked program is closed. I can't figure out how this relates to dragging and dropping.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
When dragging an application icon from the menu to the panel, it is to 'pinned', which allows for dragging to move. if you don't want that, instead of dragging it to the panel, right click on the item in the menu, and select 'Add to Panel (widget)'. This creates a launcher widget instead of a pinned icon, and these are not moveable by dragging, only via right clicking on the panel and using the 'Edit Panel' interface.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
sevensixtwo
Registered Member
Thanks, claydoh. You are really cool! Now there is a new problem! When I use the widgets to launch the programs, a new icon appears so that I have the same proble of my icons being out of order as when I was dragging the icons by accident sometimes. This is actually a worse problem since the icons will always be out of order. How can consolidate the active program icon on the immovable button?
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
I am going to guess that you mean you have the launcher widget (the icon you created on the panel), and then the normal task manager entry? Not 100% clear exactly what 'second icon' you are seeing. You probably may want to investigate alternative task managers on your panel,. such as the icons-only option. Right click on the task manager, and choose 'Alternatives'. But even this iirc has draggable entries. Perhaps the highly configurable Latte dock can provide this?

Maybe someone else who uses a left side panel can offer their thoughts? Me, I'd just not use the scroll bars, and use my mouse wheel to scroll so I don't have to be anywhere near the left side of a window for scrolling, most of the time.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
locutusofborg
Registered Member
OS
None of those answers actually cover the original question which was "How to disable drag and drop for taskbar icons?". I can't speak to what the OP wants and will except, but myself I don't want something left on the panel either pinned or as a widget when I close that item. I just want to know that if I accidentally hold the mouse button too long and attempt move away from the icon I'm not going top end up moving it. I know in Windows I can turn off the ability to rearrange the icons on it's Taskbar.

Resistance Is Futile, Linux Will Assimilate You