This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is there going to be an auto-retracer service for KDE?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mystiquewolf
Registered Member
Currently to be able to submit bug reports with stacktraces one has to install the debug symbols locally for each package. As far as i know Gnome doesn't suffer from this issue because Apport is invoked and when it uploads the error report it is automatically retraced with the debug symbols on Canonical servers.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
This entirely depends on the distribution you are running, many don't even ship debugging symbols.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mystiquewolf
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:This entirely depends on the distribution you are running, many don't even ship debugging symbols.

I'm not sure if this is the case - because if there is some server for KDE then just the KDE bug reporter can upload/submit to some known URL and it should work on every platform which has the KDE bug reporter (that is everywhere where KDE runs).

In essence once this is done you don't really care about installing the debug symbols locally and don't care about whether your distribution packages them - they are installed instead on the KDE server and some backend process produces the stacktrace for you after submit the bug report.

What i'm thinking now is that this might be a matter of financial resources - the hosting of the server by KDE project would cost money and also should be supported/resources.

But i'm really not sure whether Launchpad.net can be used for this as i believe Gnome does. That's why i asked this question. Please excuse me if i posted on a place where the developers don't watch the posts, but i don't really know if there is some place for getting in touch with KDE developers for discussion and not bugs (unlike https://bugs.kde.org/).
Mamarok
Manager
OS
This kind of discussion should probably go to the kde-devel@kde.org mailing list, as the forum is mostly for user support.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...