This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

xcursorgen failing to run

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
burnonator
Registered Member

xcursorgen failing to run

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:22 pm
I'm trying to make a new cursor theme, and I followed the instructions here https://userbase.kde.org/Create_your_own_mouse_cursor_theme, but it's not working for me. Here's the output I get.

Code: Select all
$ xcursorgen default.cursor default.png
libpng error: Read Error
xcursorgen: PNG error while reading test.png

There are literally 0 search results when I looked for "xcursorgen: PNG error while reading test.png", and only a few for "libpng error: Read Error". The main recommendation was to update libpng, but it looks like it hasn't been modified in at least a year.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do to get this to work, or maybe an alternative for xcursorgen, or libpng?

I'm not sure if these are really KDE packages, so I don't know if filing a bug is appropriate.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: xcursorgen failing to run

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:31 pm
Which exact Plasma version and distribution do you use?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
burnonator
Registered Member

Re: xcursorgen failing to run

Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:49 am
Ah, my apologies for not including that originaly.

Plasma Version: 5.19.5
Kubuntu 20.10

With that said, I believe I've made some progress on this. Firefox also won't open the image, claiming it is corrupt, although other applications like kolourpaint seem to have no problem with it. Based on that, I believe there may be something unusual with the image itself. I did get it to work with a different image created in Krita, unfortunately kolourpaint just didn't do the job for me.