This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Panel on Second Monitor not Persisting Through Logout

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chefniko
Registered Member
I'm frustrated by continued difficulty setting up KDE to my liking, especially since reading there are no log files generated by default for me to look through.

What's annoying me most right now, is that whenever I add a panel to my second monitor, it doesn't persist through a logout. When I log back in, it is just nowhere to be found. Adding a panel on my primary monitor seems to work fine though.

Often times, I have a full screen application running, which always blocks the panel on my primary monitor, so I can't use that one (even though I unchecked "Keep Above Other Windows"). I'd really like a panel on my secondary monitor that I can use, but I don't want to re-add and configure it every time I log in.

Kubuntu 20.10
KDE Plasma Version 5.19.5
Framework Version 5.74.0
QT Version 5.14.2
Kernel Version: 5.8.0-51-generic
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Do you save your session on logout?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
chefniko
Registered Member
No, I start with an empty session every time, but I do have autostart and window rules configured. That way I come back to a "fresh start", but everything I need is running and waiting for me.

From what I know, X treats each monitor separately, and sometimes that passes through to the KDE configs (like how I can set up my wallpapers differently for each monitor), but it seems odd to me that one monitor would save the configuration and the other monitor would not.

Maybe there's something wrong with my underlying X config? I also notice that my primary desktop extends on to my second monitor by a couple of pixels. My monitors also "turn off" (no signal) after about 15 minutes, even though I've tried setting the option higher, and even turning it off completely.

I don't want to de-rail the thread with a bunch of other problems, but they may all be related to a failure to update the underlying configuration options from the GUI.
chefniko
Registered Member
I managed to "resolve" this, by installing a fresh copy of Kubuntu 21.04.

It is related to the settings, because when I re-installed fresh, the panel saved and loaded correctly. After restoring `~/.config` the panel stopped showing up on log in again.

I don't know exactly where the problem is, and I don't remember a setting like "don't save my secondary desktop config". So, I expect something is not working correctly. I guess I need to rebuild all my settings from scratch and hope it doesn't happen again. :(