This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Custom hover information

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nullzero
Registered Member

Custom hover information

Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:06 pm
Hello people
I am just wandering is it possible to insert a custom text in my hover action over chosen icon by me?
There is example https://imgur.com/Q4mpjEq

I just want to add more text in this field. Something like a file description and what it dos.
Regards
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Custom hover information

Sat May 01, 2021 12:34 am
You can add Tags and Comments to your files that should be visible when hovering over it. Open Dolphin, activate the Info panel and there you can add both Tags and/or Comments to the selected file.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
nullzero
Registered Member

Sat May 01, 2021 6:58 pm
Nope. I mean - yes. Its work, but just in Dolphin and there is noting on hovering fields over icons on my desktop. If I click on that file in Dolphin and the Information panel is active - I can see it. But just in Dolphin. I find a way to do it in .desktop files (shortcuts) like that:
"Comment[en_GB]=KDE\nText\nText\nText\nText\nText\nText\nTextttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt"
The limitation is 10 lines only. I don't know how to do it on files. Also, is looks like I can't get the idea of this tags. If I put the same tag on two different files, I can't find it just by clicking on this tag. Even if they are in the same directory. I mean, if i click on the tag, I getting a pop up msg:
"The file or folder tags:test does not exist."
What is the idea of this tags?
Regards
p.s - updated Manjaro KDE with KDE Plasma version 5.21.4 KDE Frameworks 5.81.0 Qt 5.15.2 kernel 5.12
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun May 02, 2021 4:11 pm
Hm, looks I was mistaken, but I don't use the Folder View myself, I prefer a clean desktop and always have an open Dolphin anyway.
Might be an idea to suggest this as a feature.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...