This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Issue with keyboard layout after session start

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I reinstall Kubuntu 21.04 with 3 different layouts (french, english ans spanish).
I need to have by default the spanish layout active when sessions starts, however US layout is active.

I checked the settings > Inputs > Keyboard and as first I have SPANISH, next French and next US.
So what is the problem ?
Did I miss something ? I have several computers with KDE + ubuntu 20.04 and I've never met such issue.

thx

Kubuntu 22.04 / kernel 5.15.x
KDE 5.24.5 / KDE framework: 5.95 / Qt version: 5.15.3
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

Ubuntu is somewhat funny with keyboard layouts, e.g. in Budgie you can have two in parallel, but very buggy as it is able to set the `localectl`/`setxkbmap`-stuff in parallel to the GUI-selected.

What is the global default?
Code: Select all
[sudo] localectl status
# change to spanish: localectl set-x11-keymap LAYOUT [MODEL [VARIANT [OPTIONS]]], e.g.
localectl set-x11-keymap es pc105 altgr-intl caps:hyper
Set this to the spanish one if you want it to be the system default. You can also use the `setxkbmap`-command in the SDDM-setup-script (/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup):
Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
# file /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
# Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears
loadkeys es
# …
setxkbmap es altgr-intl pc105

loadkeys is for the ttys, setxkbmap for X.

If you have an old xorg.conf-file, check that there is no keymap set for X.