This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Keyboard not working after remove xf86-input-libinput

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
prbakker
Registered Member
Hi Everybody,

This is the first time I write in this forum and hope I do it the right way.
Problem: Keyboard is not working after removing xf86-input-libinput - and now I cannot login in Plasma 5.
Reason for removing xf86-input-libinput:: I needed Wayland's synaps instead of xorg-server as the configuration of touchpad's sensitivity was grey. I read I needed to remove xf86-input-libinput I read in forums
code for removing: I removed xf86-input-libinput via
Code: Select all
yay -Rdd xf86-input-libinput

which linux and which machine:Arch Linux for Surface Pro 4
what I tried to recover:
I tried to go to
tty
via
CRTL+ALT-F*
and
CRTL+FN+ALT-F*

I tried recovery boot via
Shft
del
F*

Conclusion: I still cannot login in KDE Plasma as keyboard is dead
What can I do?
Thank you in advance,
Roberto
PS:
F*
means F1 till F12
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

What exactly did you read pointing you to remove libinput? As you're on arch, there should be a fully running os left without plasma, so perhaps you made other changes too? How did you install it? How did you set up vt?
prbakker
Registered Member
Hi Koffeinfriedhof,
Thank you for your quick reply.
It all started when my cursor jumped and clicked everywhere and more severely - it was maddening :'(
I found the possible solution: lower KDE Plasma's sensitivity, but this diaglogue window was greyed
Then I found the reason and solution for this greying: it was libinput. Here are the links I read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/d ... gs_greyed/
and
viewtopic.php?t=130072 see coryw Thu Mar 21.
In short: no libinput but synaps. Remove libinput.
As far as I remember, I did not make other changes - but I am not sure I did not.
I installed as mentioned in https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/installation_guide with youtube videos also.
VT, you mean virtual terminal? I did not use this.
Best, Roberto
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Yes, I did mean the virtual terminal. You do not need a GUI to get all the stuff done, and if the vt is still working, it is easy to 'repair' a system.

I was asking about the installation because of the 'yay'-usage. That is not a recommended way of package management. The install-guide you linked is the one for setting up the base system without GUI, so I still need to know what you did (not) install as there are multiple options like plasma, plasma-meta, kde-applications, using X or Wayland… everything you set up to have your current GUI-setup. I think the easiest will be to post the kwin support information as it has most of these informations present:
qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation

There are multiple options to check whats wrong:
Can you switch to a virtual console using ctrl-alt-f3 (or similar)? If not, you should boot the arch stick and chroot into the installed system which is comparable to the installation process where you did use the arch-chroot too.

Then login with your username and passwort on a vt, getting the informations above and checking:
journalctl -b -xep err  # all logged errors, the -b option must not work if chrooted
pacman -Syu  # update the system, check for problems
useradd -m -G  systemd-journal -s /usr/bin/bash tester  # create a new user (with journal permission)

switch back to the tty1 or 7 where SDDM is running (ctrl-alt-F1/F7) and login with the new user. Does this one behave better? Then it is 'just' an old configuration file messing your main user up.

You can redirect all output to a file using >. Examples:
journalctl -b -xep err  > ~/journalexport

If you receive some errors, they must be redirected using 2> target_file. If you need details or more examples, have a look at http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/InputAndOutput