This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

an image of an application stays visible even after closing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
artome
Registered Member
??? Hi,
since one week ago i'm observing a very strange behavior that i cannot reproduce but it has happened a once a day up to now.

one of the windows that i am working out of the blue becomes semi-transparent but one cane still work with her and do anything, moving around, resize and even work normally (it has already happened me with a chrome window, a kate window and a qtcreator window as far as i remember).
However if i minimize the window its image stays exactly in the same place only a little more transparent. It does not responds it is like an image we have above the desktop paper (and yes it still remains there if i change the desktop paper) if i then bring again the application it will go to the exactly same place and it is still workable and i can move it and resize it, usually i do that and make it small and a a corner of a screen, because if i close the application the application goes away no trace of its being still active but the image stays at the screen the only way i made it disappearing is to logout.

I really do not know how to report this "bug" as nothing crashes everything remains operational and working properly., but is very weird and for the last week once a day i'm obliged to logout, i have however all the time of the world to close the apps to finish the work i'm doing so not really a huge problem only a nuisance.

my system

opensuse leap 15.3
Plasma 5.22.4 ???
kde frameworks 5.85.0
qt 5.15.2
kernel 5.3.18-59.19
X11
Graphics Mesa DRI intel UHD Graphics 630
Mamarok
Manager
OS
well, maybe specifying what "Window" you are talking about could help, is it an application, which one?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
artome
Registered Member
Well as just happened again ( really it has happened two or three time after i post this), and in my first post I said it happened to several applications, chrome , kate and qtcreator, so it should be a plasma related issue.

I just made a screenshot for what just happened a qt creator instance became semi transparent i closed it but his phantom remains no way to make him go away other than logout. It is like a background but without any option to change it because if i change the background he still remains there above.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-tA4iUxxZ9d1s93_8KOP0n_RopaaLy1M/view?usp=sharing

open a terminal and made a ps -ux | grep creator to show no instance of qt-creator is running.

and then i change the background paper

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qVe9jtnnsG6IEIJjaHBpHIKXp_iCzVqo/view?usp=sharing

besides this phantom image the computer works without any problem. But well i'm going to logout e login again. As long the frequency is near once a day this is not a real problem.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
In both pictures Creator has a PID, so it is very obviously running... try killing that PID

It might be useful to specify your Transparency settings

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
artome
Registered Member
where do you the the creator pid? I only see the pid from the grep when I search if creator is running.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
My bad, seems I didn't have enough coffee...