This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

CTRL+SHIFT+U to use unicode in browser does not work

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I use Kubuntu 21.04 and in some forums I need sometimes to use special characters like "degree symbol", "Euro symbol" and so on....
I tried the standard ALT+0176 for degree symbol and It does not work as every single browser (firefox, brave, chrome) take ALT + first number as the number of tab to switch on.
Next I tried the standrd CTRL+SHIFT+U for unicode and next typed the code 00B0 for the degree symbol... once again it does not work.

I would like to avoid to use an app like Kcharselect to select and copy to clipboard my symbol when I type a post or a document.

I'm looking for a shotcut to speed up the process, so that's why a simple ALT+SHIFT+U and code would be great as it is faster that run an app and select the symbol to copy it to clipboard and next to paste it in the document or in the post.

Any idea what is currently working in KDE+ubuntu ?

thx a lot.

Kubuntu 22.04 / kernel 5.15.x
KDE 5.24.5 / KDE framework: 5.95 / Qt version: 5.15.3
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Maybe modify your keyboard settings? You can usually add those symbols to any keyboard, in my Swiss keyboard the ° is available by default and it should be in almost all standard keyboard layouts (just checked for the French, the German and the UK one, all have the ° somewhere by default) as is the €
See System Settings -> Hardware -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...