This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Fullscreen games appear on wrong monitor in Wayland

Tags: question, wayland, nvidia, multi monitor, kwin question, wayland, nvidia, multi monitor, kwin question, wayland, nvidia, multi monitor, kwin
(comma "," separated)
Ridge
Registered Member
OS
Greetings fine folks of KDE! ^-^

I've recently started using Wayland quite often, but just a couple of problems holding me back from actually making it a daily driver: Firefox crashes unless using Xwayland, and multi-monitor + primary screen woes. If I can fix the latter, I could ignore the first until it's fixed ;D

I make and play games quite a lot, and oh man is Wayland great for that, aiming in FPS games for example? Buttery smooth, no more sluggish X11 feel.
But I have a triple monitor setup, and when running a Wayland session, all fullscreen apps appear on the left monitor, whereas ideally they should appear in the middle.

I've tried making window rules, however not only does clicking "Save" in plasma settings make the Plasma Wayland session crash and leave me with three black screens, the rules don't work after I reboot.. I'll look into reporting this as a bug if required, just need to figure out the reporting system so I don't put it in the wrong category and clog your flow..

Doesn't matter if it's a native game or run through Wine, same behavior on both.
Is there any other way to force fullscreen apps to the middle monitor? Thank you kindly in advance.

Some system info: Nvidia GTX 1060, proprietary driver, Plasma 5.23 beta, three 1080p monitors, Manjaro Testing branch.
Ridge
Registered Member
OS
Thanks to Sojiro84 on the GamingOnLinux forum, I've got a solution for my woes!
The following command makes my main monitor the primary:
Code: Select all
xrandr --output XWAYLAND1 --primary

If you're gonna do the same, replace XWAYLAND1 with your primary monitor, you can figure out the number by simply running xrandr in a terminal without any options.

I added the command to my startup applications in Plasma Settings, so now it's set as primary on every login. A painless workaround until it's implemented officially.