This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Copy/Paste Not Working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tckosvic
Registered Member

Copy/Paste Not Working

Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:01 pm
I can select text in an app for copy using right click menu. The information goes into the clipboard. The info can be viewed in task bar "clipboard contents". But, the info will not paste to a new selected location. It just does nothing. This feature was working a few days ago. It makes no difference if I try to paste into the same app or to another app, e.g., terminal. Very annoying.
Likewise, the keyboard commands ctrl-c will copy to clipboard but ctrl-v will not paste from clipboard.
I am in opensuse leap 15.3 with kde 5.18. If I log out of kde into mate 1.24 desktop the copy/paste feature works fine.

I have tried reboots and that does not solve problem. Perhaps a recent update to something caused the problem but I need it solved.

Any ideas? thanks, tom kosvic
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Copy/Paste Not Working

Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am
Pasting in a terminal needs Ctrl+Shift+V, you know that, don't you?
Which other places can't you paste to? Make sure those are not applications using different shortcuts (like e.g. Konsole)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
tckosvic
Registered Member

Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:57 pm
I worked on the copy/paste not working issue on kde plasma through contacts on opensuse forum. Tried adjustments to clipboard configuration through system tray manager, like disabling clipboard. Nothing changed.

I did make a new user on plasma and new user did have copy/paste working; original user did not. I also found that copy/paste also did not work on gnome desktop. Copy/paste was not working on plasma (as original user) and gnome but worked all the time on mate desktop. I punted, and went to mate for a day or so. I did not want to risk relocating my whole /home/user directory to a new user on plasma.

Utterly, bizarre but I went back to plasma after a day or so and copy paste was working again as original user. Also worked as the new user; since deleted. I have no explanation for what happened but copy/paste works now on plasma. both as right click menu and as ctrl-c/ctrl-v. By the way, I never heard of ctrl-shft-v as being needed to paste to a terminal. For decades ctrl-v has worked for me on various OS and desktops.

If it happens again, I will stop/start plasma shell to see if that works. Problem solved but no solution. Intermittent computer problems are difficult just as they are on your car.

opensuse 15.3, kde plasma 5.18

tom kosvic
tckosvic
Registered Member

Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:24 pm
Plasma copy/paste stopped working again. After start working (unexpectedly) as described above, after a couple of days, it stopped working again. I made no plasma structural changes, desktop changes, taskbar changes, widget changes. I just used browser, editor, and terminals and it stopped working again. Copy ( ctrl-c or right click window) copies into clipboard but no paste from clipboard through right click window or copy/paste keystrokes. This is as before.

I stopped/started plasma shell with no change.

Going back to mate where copy/paste has never ceased to work.

Any ideas? tom kosvic