This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

plasmashell doesn't start at startup (Debian 12)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ozymandias
Registered Member
KDE Plasma Version: 5.23.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.86.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2
Kernel Version: 5.14.0-2-amd64
Graphics Plattform: X11

Prozessors: 16x AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Prozessor
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Prozessor: IIvmpipe

After upgrading from Debian 11 to Debian 12 plasma 5 doesn't seem to work anymore.
Windows don't show the frame with "minimize", "maximize" and "close" anymore and they are not moveable on the screen.
Further more, if you click on "settings", "Appearance" and "Windows Decorations" , System Settings crashes saying
"Dr Konqi System Settings Closed Unexpectedly ..."

I reinstalled Debian 11 minimal install https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/ (but the problem also occurs with the full dvd image), upgraded to 12
Code: Select all
 apt update && apt full-upgrade
and after that installed "apt install kde-plasma-desktop"
Because I kept the /home folder, it seems all old configuration is still persistent. I can see the old "style" after running
Code: Select all
kstart5 plasmashell

The "Power Managment" inside "System Settings" crashes saying "Power Management configuration module could not be loaded. The Power Management Service appears not to be running".

Thought maybe this is a graphics chip problem as I use a nvidia card, but if I install Debian 11 with the kde desktop (during the install of debian, not afterwards), everything seems to work. But because there are a lot of other programs installed, I would like to stick with the minimal install and install all packages I need myself.

Any help appreciated!

BTW:
I used plasma 5 and Debian 11 for a long time without any problems on the same system.
Used also Debian 11 and plasma 5 on my laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad), after updating to Debian 12 and installing some updates, this system also crashed.
I can't even login anymore as it freezes after typing the password.
I am pretty sure that has something to do with missing/broken packages, as on both systems, Debian 12 and plasma 5 worked until the update yesterday, both machine crashed.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
As mentioned before on this forum today (viewtopic.php?f=289&t=172976), there appear to be some packaging delays in Debian, maybe have some patience?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...