This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How do I change the umask of processes launched by plasmashe

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
nile
Registered Member
I'm using Fedora 33, KDE Plasma 5.20.5.

I'd like the permissions for files created by my user on this system to include the write permission for the group. Using umask successfully accomplishes this, but only for process spawned from the shell; processes launched by plasmashell (e.g. by clicking on a system tray icon) are unaffected by my current umask setting.

Example:

[list=]
[*]umask for current logged in user is 0002
[*]I launch Inkscape from terminal, grab the PID, and examine /proc/${inkscapepid}/status and see the umask is set to 0002. Any files I save have group write permission enabled.
[*]I launch Inkscape from a tray icon/desktop icon, /proc/${newinkscapepid}/status shows the umask is 0022, and files I save do not have the group write permission.
[/list]

My gut thought is to find the systemd service responsible for launching plasmashell, and set a umask there, however what I've read so far seems to indicate that plasmashell may be launched by some script as part of KDE's startup, and not directly by systemd, even though plasmashell's PPID is indeed 1.

Additionally, this seems like the kind of problem someone else would run into while trying to setup default file permissions, so I'm totally open to the 'your doing it wrong' answer, but I can't for the life of me figure out what other path would accomplish this.
raphaelra
Registered Member
OS
How would it be to use this mechanism for setting umask properly ?