This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Do I need those directories?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tpe
Registered Member
OS

Do I need those directories?

Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:06 am
I first setup my laptop (a Fedora 2x) around 2015. After that date, I continue to upgrade it still without any issue.
Obviously I have some old directories and I suppose I don't need anymore.
So, can someone confirm to me if the ~/.kde directory is useless?

Of course I have a backup, but I would like find out if there are more directories that are not used anymore!

So, effectively, what I am looking for are the directories that are used from KDE Frameworks > 5.80
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Do I need those directories?  Topic is solved

Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:39 am
This entirely depends on the applications you use, ~/.kde certainly is not useless if you still have applications that are released less often. You can judge easily by checking the modified date of the folders.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
tpe
Registered Member
OS

Re: Do I need those directories?

Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:59 am
I did, and 2018 is a bit old, isn't it? :)
I think I will get rid of it!
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Do I need those directories?

Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:05 pm
tpe wrote:I did, and 2018 is a bit old, isn't it? :)
I think I will get rid of it!

In any case, if any of the actual files in that directory were needed or used by something, they will be recreated, along with the folders, the next time those things are used.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001