This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Conflict between the kde plasma and nvidia driver

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sevastyan
Registered Member
intel xeon e5450 775 socket
nvidia geforce gtx 980 4gb (reference)

I found a conflict in kde plasma with the latest nvidia drivers
I have to admit that everything runs fine on Open Source drivers and there are no problems at all
systemsettings5 it runs in 0.80s
the konsole also runs in 0.80s

I really want to solve this problem and understand why it happens
Let's see the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcaGfL7qRsE
Manjaro 19.2 and notice that everything opens quite fast and the bouncing icon next to the cursor is very smooth
nvidia 440.59
kernel 5.4.23-1
KDE plasma 5.17.5

desktop icon 0.90s
konsole 0.70s

P.S disabling allow flipping causes tearing of the image!
disable allow flipping
desktop icon 0.60s
konsole 0.60s

Manjaro 20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1SURNBCa2A
As you might have noticed the bouncing icon next to the cursor started to noticeable jerking a bit and systemsettings5 took a bit longer to run
nvidia 440.82
kernel 5.6.7-1
KDE Plasma 5.18.4

desktop icon 1.60s
konsole 0.60s

disable allow flipping
desktop icon 1.00s
Konsole 0.60s

Manjaro 21.6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIzK4E2ihw
The icon near the cursor had some very noticeable jerking, but the jerking stops when you disable allow flipping, but systemsettings5 still takes longer to open than on the opensource drivers
kernel 5.13.19.2
KDE plasma 5.22.5

desktop icon 2.50s
terminal 1.20s

disable allow flipping
desktop icon 1.70s
terminal 1.00s

I tried all nvidia drivers and the problem with noticeable jerking cursor icon started with nvidia 440.82 (Manjaro 20.0)
I assume that in some period of time in the code of nvidia driver added something that conflicts with kde plasma and nobody knows about it or holds back
This problem is 100% true also on gtx 1050ti, gtx 1060 6gb

1) Why is the icon near the cursor lags when opening systemsettings5? (but when disabling allow flipping the lags disappear)
2) why is it faster to launch systemsettings5 via konsole?
3) Why don't the opensource drivers have this problem?
rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS
I'm openSUSE (LEAP and Tumbleweed) user with NVidia. I have not THAT issue about enabling/disabling "flipping" option BUT, it's true what you wrote about your question #2.
I think reason is Plasma indexer (Baloo). When you launch command from Konsole, Baloo indexer is not used to locate "systemsettings5" command file. However, when you click on "Settings" icon to call "systemsettings5", there is a bunch of process before trying to launch that command, and IMHO is Baloo who is slowing down the process launch.
sevastyan
Registered Member
rafaellinuxuser wrote:I'm openSUSE (LEAP and Tumbleweed) user with NVidia. I have not THAT issue about enabling/disabling "flipping" option BUT, it's true what you wrote about your question #2.
I think reason is Plasma indexer (Baloo). When you launch command from Konsole, Baloo indexer is not used to locate "systemsettings5" command file. However, when you click on "Settings" icon to call "systemsettings5", there is a bunch of process before trying to launch that command, and IMHO is Baloo who is slowing down the process launch.

Hello, I installed opensuse.
The problem is still there.
But, the parameters open in 0.70s if the parameter view is like icons
And if I return the default grid view, then it takes 2.20s
I checked your theory about the baloo
And I'm just shocked at what's going on.
On the opensource drivers the programs in the terminal and through the shortcut always open in the same time
With proprietary drivers nvidia programs open in the terminal in the same time as with opensource drivers, and through the shortcut some of them are 0.70 sec longer
But not faster.
Is there any way to explain it?
rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS
sevastyan wrote:With proprietary drivers nvidia programs open in the terminal in the same time as with opensource drivers, and through the shortcut some of them are 0.70 sec longer
But not faster.

Of course, there may be a relationship between the lag you notice and NVidia drivers. After all, it is not open source and it is not known for sure exactly to what extent it influences the performance of the desktop environment. I can't do the test enabling Noveau because my computers are work machines, but have you tried it with openSUSE Tumbleweed? (it's rolling release and maybe that problem you have doesn't appear). You can also try booting Plasma+Wayland with the NVIDIA driver, and see if it still happens. I would do that test: openSUSE Tumbleweed + Nvidia + Wayland (in Plasma).
sevastyan
Registered Member
rafaellinuxuser wrote:
sevastyan wrote:With proprietary drivers nvidia programs open in the terminal in the same time as with opensource drivers, and through the shortcut some of them are 0.70 sec longer
But not faster.

Of course, there may be a relationship between the lag you notice and NVidia drivers. After all, it is not open source and it is not known for sure exactly to what extent it influences the performance of the desktop environment. I can't do the test enabling Noveau because my computers are work machines, but have you tried it with openSUSE Tumbleweed? (it's rolling release and maybe that problem you have doesn't appear). You can also try booting Plasma+Wayland with the NVIDIA driver, and see if it still happens. I would do that test: openSUSE Tumbleweed + Nvidia + Wayland (in Plasma).

Yes, I have been using OpenSuse Tumbleweed
I have Wayland not working on kde plasma
When I start a wayland session with nvidia 495 it's really slow and laggy and nothing really works
The desktop freezes and only keyboard shortcuts work (terminal, explorer)
Maybe i am doing something wrong.
But i tried to run Wayland on arch linux
kde plasma 5.23.2
But everything works fine on gnome+wayland
Go Telegram
@EBWAFAS