This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot switch activities using key-strokes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
joebuckley
Registered Member
I suspect this is KDE / Plasma problem and not a Fedora problem.
My up-to-date F35 / KDE Plasma 5.23.2 doesn't switch activities using the assigned key strokes when the cursor is not focused on the desktop. It switches as expected when it IS focused on the desktop and when using the "Switch Activity" widget in my task bar. It's the keystrokes (in my case, meta-tab) that no longer work as of the latest updates to KDE (updated 36 hours ago).

A bug? I can work around this, but due to a bit of arthritis, I prefer the key strokes I'm used to.

And BTW, if you have more than 2 activities, switching has NEVER worked as advertised. I can only switch using the designated key-strokes between the current and the previous activities, and not others until I switch to them using the widget.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I can't reproduce this here (Kubuntu 21.10, Plasma 5.23.3), using 4 activities, switching works correctly forward and in reverse order, using the default shortcuts.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
joebuckley
Registered Member
Thank you for the response, Mamarok. That tells me it's as much of a Fedora problem as KDE.
Or, perhaps, it's one of the more obscure KDE settings.

I'm still getting updates to KDE measured in tons (over 90 updates this morning alone), so perhaps it's just a bit late getting to the Fedora repositories.
joebuckley
Registered Member
joebuckley wrote:I suspect this is KDE / Plasma problem and not a Fedora problem.
My up-to-date F35 / KDE Plasma 5.23.2 doesn't switch activities using the assigned key strokes when the cursor is not focused on the desktop. ...

And BTW, if you have more than 2 activities, switching has NEVER worked as advertised. I can only switch using the designated key-strokes between the current and the previous activities, and not others until I switch to them using the widget.

Minor update - I discovered shortly after this that activity switching (more or less) works in X11, but still has the same problems in Wayland using KDE Plasma 5.23.3. In short, activity switching in up-to-date Fedora 35 using Wayland does NOT switch using Meta-tab (the default key strokes) unless the cursor is focused on the desktop. AND in both Wayland and X11 switching alternates between the current and previous activities (and does not course through all of them in order if there are more than 2 activities).
netnuttt
Registered Member
I have the exact same issue and could not find a fix. Also, it would only tab between two of four activities at any given time.
I learned to use Metakey-Q to pull up menu to pick activity choice.

Jeff
joebuckley
Registered Member
Thanks for the verification, netnutt. Yes, meta-q pulls up my activities task-bar. Another work-around is to put the activity-pager widget into my taskbar. I like that, 'cause it sorta looks like and acts like the virtual-page widget.