This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Default file manager

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
forevernoob
Registered Member

Default file manager

Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:44 am
Hello,

I've been using Dolphin as file manager, and a few days ago I installed Thunar so that I could use it as root. Since then it became the default file manager, and setting Dolphin again in Settings -> Default Application doesn't seem to work. What am I missing?

TIA
rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS

Re: Default file manager

Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:27 pm
How did you tried to test was not working?
forevernoob
Registered Member

Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:10 pm
rafaellinuxuser wrote:How did you tried to test was not working?

By selecting "Show in file manager" from right-click menu on download list in vivaldi browser.
rafaellinuxuser
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:06 am
<Alt><F2> and type
Code: Select all
kate ~/.config/mimeapps.list

In that file, locate any "Thunar" entry and change to have something similar to my mimeapps.list:
inode/directory=org.kde.dolphin.desktop;SMPlayer.desktop;qmmp.desktop;org.kde.gwenview.desktop;
inode/directory=org.kde.dolphin.desktop;
inode/directory=qmmp-dir.desktop;org.kde.dolphinsu.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;code.desktop;
forevernoob
Registered Member

Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:58 am
rafaellinuxuser wrote:<Alt><F2> and type
kate ~/.config/mimeapps.list

In that file, locate any "Thunar" entry and change to have something similar to my mimeapps.list:
inode/directory=org.kde.dolphin.desktop;SMPlayer.desktop;qmmp.desktop;org.kde.gwenview.desktop;
inode/directory=org.kde.dolphin.desktop;
inode/directory=qmmp-dir.desktop;org.kde.dolphinsu.desktop;org.kde.kate.desktop;code.desktop;

The string "thunar" not found in that file.
dzon
Registered Member

Re: Default file manager  Topic is solved

Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:47 am
Why you would use an fm like thunar is...myeah. Anyway, click a folder>open with>search for application>set as default. Or: system settings>personal settings>applications>file associations.
If you need a "open as root" in Dolphin, open dolphin>configure>configure dolphin>context menus>download new services. Look for "open as root", install.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
forevernoob
Registered Member

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:07 pm
dzon wrote:Why you would use an fm like thunar is...myeah. Anyway, click a folder>open with>search for application>set as default. Or: system settings>personal settings>applications>file associations.
If you need a "open as root" in Dolphin, open dolphin>configure>configure dolphin>context menus>download new services. Look for "open as root", install.

Success! I first added "open as root" service to dolphin (didn't know it exists), then uninstalled thunar. Thanks.
dzon
Registered Member

Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:36 pm
Glad to hear. In the same way you can install a bunch of service menus. Unless they're require a manual setup ( a script for example). Although Thunar supports custom actions, it's nowhere near dolphin in terms of customizability ( think they re-added the root entry in 4.16, go figure). I don't even use Thunar on my openbox rigs, even despite lots of custom actions/scripts I made for it over the years. Let alone using it in KDE. It's one of the reasons I think, for example, Feren os is a total d.....s distro. Cutting down possibilities from a good default, just for the sake of it, doesn't make sense. Better to have a look around what the options are in kde first, before installing less.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.