This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

what automount has in common with kactivitymanager ???

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I'm still working on finding why my system tries to mount some mounting points (keys) that I do not use for at least 6 months.

While I'm running a : sudo grep --exclude-dir={/mnt} -rnw 'wd-backup-6tb'
I got as result:
Code: Select all
grep: .local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/database: binary file matches
grep: .local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/working-backup/database: binary file matches
grep: .local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/test-backup/database: binary file matches

As I do not use Activities / activity manager, I really do not understand HOW Activity Manager can have in its database a mounting point named "wd-backup-6tb".
How is it possible ?
Why it is saved there as this mounting point does not exist at least 6 months ?
How can I do to purge or clean the activity manager ?
Should I delete the whole ~/.local/share/kactivitymanager folder ?
Will the deletion have an impact on my system or on activities ?

thx

Kubuntu 22.04 / kernel 5.15.x
KDE 5.24.5 / KDE framework: 5.95 / Qt version: 5.15.3
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
kactivtymanagerd has zero to do with desktop Activities, per se.

The first couple of posts here helped me understand it a little better:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/c ... ymanagerd/
I am still confused tbh.
It seem to relate to application window positions, states, etc. If one has multiple Desktop Activities (as I do), there will be multiple databases.

In any case, even if you don't use multiples, you are still using a single Activity at the minimum.

But, for remembered mounts, maybe this can help:
Look at your Removable Storage settings in System Settings, and look at the 'Disconnected Devices' section. You can select an item, and the click "Forget Device", among other related settings.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
This was my though that it has nothing to do, but why the grep returns me that database of activity manager holds such string (that I'm looking for) ?

I agree with you that I do not use activities but I have at least the default one, but I do not understand "anyway" WHY activity databases hold the searched string.

Regarding Removable storage in settings, I have disabled Enable automatic mounting of removable media. Moreover, none of these "keys" belong to the automatic mount list. SO the list of Disconnected Devices does not include any of these "keys" but only "system reserved" (grayed - not active)

alainroger
Registered Member
OS
I want to share here my conclusions about autoFS and automount, as it could help other users to find out a solution if they did the same as me (mount other internal disks or NAS shared directories in /mnt directory using fstab).

I just performed a simple test by creating a directory /misc and change my auto.master added line with /misc as root directory for NAS shared directories (instead of /mnt).

Since them automount do not populate my logs with former mounting points / non-exisiting keys / former keys from fstab.

Therefore, my user desktop starts a lot faster.

So it's clear that autoFS keep track of former configurations file and keys, but till now I was not able to find where such files/configuration or keys are stored.