This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma randomly logs out when i press volume down button.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
agoodfella
Registered Member
Hello there, this happened only twice but it's really annoying. When I press my key combination to turn down volume plasma completely logs me out back to sddm. I use manjaro and everything is up to date.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
And what is your key combination?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
agoodfella
Registered Member
Mamarok
Manager
OS
And you are not accidentally hitting another key than the Fn one? On my laptop it is dangerously close to the Ctrl and Meta key, and Ctrl+F2 switches to Desktop 2 by default.
Since this is pretty much hardware dependent (not all laptops have the Fn key in the same place), you might want to change they key combination on the nearest keys that could cause this problem.
Mind you, log out should only be caused by Ctrl+Alt+Del (and Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Del for a logout without confirmation), which needs two hands on they keyboard for most people. If you made another sequence for this maybe change it?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
agoodfella
Registered Member
No, I don't have another combination for it, but I can assure you it's fn+f2 because I see the volume dialog before it's logged out.
Someone on reddit told me to lower the key repetition rate to 15, apparently that solved it for them, I couldn't see any correlation, but do you think that's worth a shot?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
It's worth a try, as this is mostly hardware dependent

agoodfella
Registered Member
Ok, I'll try that, I'll inform you if it happens again.
agoodfella
Registered Member
It happened again, this time when turning the volume up. I think it doesn't log me off on purpose, I'm starting to think it's a crash.
agoodfella
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:It's worth a try, as this is mostly hardware dependent

Mamarok? You there? Can you tell me what should I do if this is a crash?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Now I am, Christmas weekend, sorry.

Please have a look here: https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Debugging

agoodfella
Registered Member
Hmm.. So you saying it might be related to a widget, to be honest, I only use one plasmoid, for changing my layout automatically but sure I can disable it and try. I'll let you know if it crashes again. Also, does latte dock count as a widget?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I didn't say that, I only pointed you to the page with the instructions on how to debug a plasmashell crash.

And yes, Latte Dock definitely counts as a widget.

agoodfella
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:I didn't say that, I only pointed you to the page with the instructions on how to debug a plasmashell crash.

I'm sorry but that really doesn't help me because I don't know how to read the logs or at least how to make use of what I read. I have already sent a bug report to the kde bugzilla however at the time I didn't know this was a crash so I didn't attach any logs and I don't want to issue another bug with logs attached this time because that might be seen as duplicate.

If you want a specific log I can share them here though.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
No need to file a new bug report, just add the log of the crash to the existing one. And ask in that bug report what exactly is needed. Could you also please give a link to said bug report here?

agoodfella
Registered Member
Here is the bug report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=447343

However I don't know how to make a crash log, it sends me here: https://community.kde.org/Guidelines_an ... sh_reports but it's too advanced for me to understand, especially for arch.