This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Widgets (notes) settings are not remembered after reboot

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
toshko4
Registered Member
Hi, I'm using Kubuntu 20.04 with all the updates and this morning all widgets (notes) have disappeared. I have restored them from "~/.local/share/plasma_notes/", creating new ones and copying the text from files there.

Now their position and settings are not being remembered after reboot.
What could have crashed in the first place and why doesn't plasma remember the new settings?
toshko4
Registered Member
Now all of the notes disappeared again...
Anyone knows how to debug?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you set the session to be saved on log-out?
System Settings -> Workspace -> Startup and Shutdown -> Destkop Session

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
toshko4
Registered Member
Yes, it's saved and all of the programs are starting again after reboot.
BTW, now Anydesk has forgotten all of it's settings and history. Something is happening ...
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I don't think we can influence settings on non-KDE applications...

What did you change before this started to happen? I can't reproduce any of that on Kubuntu 21.10 (backports enabled)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
toshko4
Registered Member
Absolutely nothing. Only regular updates. I'm on Kubuntu 20.04. No errors in syslog, too.
I'm sure it's not a setting. Notes didn't remember their positions and sizes. After some reboots, they all disappeared again.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
toshko4 wrote:...
I'm sure it's not a setting. Notes didn't remember their positions and sizes. After some reboots, they all disappeared again.

I was referring to Anydesk you mentioned above, which we have no influence over. I started adding Notes to my desktop to see how it behaves, so far no changes and no lost information.
I somehow fail to see how widgets can disappear from the desktop without any changes in the configuration files, but if this is a consistent and repeatable behaviour on your system you should file a bug on https://bugs.kde.org. Please give a link to the bug report here.

toshko4
Registered Member
The desktop wallpaper also changed to a default one.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
toshko4 wrote:The desktop wallpaper also changed to a default one.

Which points to the configuration not being saved or the configuration files having been deleted or altered. Could this be a permission issue in your home folder?

toshko4
Registered Member
I'm not sure which folder should have which permissions exactly.
mparillo
Registered Member
OS
Are you switching between Wayland and X?
I think that happens when I do, but I have been too lazy to exactly reproduce it for a bug report.
toshko4
Registered Member
No, I'm not switching, I use only the default X.