This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't remove a weird widget(?) from my desktop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lyrapuff
Registered Member
On my desktop (Arch) I have a weird widget thingie in the bottom left corner, it shows weather and some other stats.
When I'm trying to enter edit mode to remove it it flies away.
When I'm trying to click on it nothing happens, long presses have no effect as well.
Please, explain what it is and how can I get rid of it, thank you.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I don't know, are you sure this is a widget? Maybe ask the Arch people what is default on the desktop?

The image you show is nothing I am familiar with

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
lyrapuff
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:I don't know, are you sure this is a widget? Maybe ask the Arch people what is default on the desktop?

The image you show is nothing I am familiar with

Well, it wasn't there from the beginning, so I don't think it's arch related really, I think it appeared after I installed some widget, I don't remember which one tho and I'm not sure this can be classified as widget either, I just didn't know what to call it in this case.
mparillo
Registered Member
OS
If it is really an applet / widget / plasmoid, you should see it in:

.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

Each widget has one or more sections (here are mine for the weather widget):

[Containments][1][Applets][25]
immutability=1
plugin=org.kde.plasma.weather

[Containments][1][Applets][25][Configuration]
PreloadWeight=0
source=noaa|weather|Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport, PA
updateInterval=30
weatherServiceProviders=noaa

[Containments][1][Applets][25][Configuration][ConfigDialog]
DialogHeight=558
DialogWidth=720

So, I assume [1] is either my first activity or virtual desktop.
And [25] is the number of the containment for the widget.
Then each section for [25] describing how to configure the widget.

If you see something strange, just backup your .config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc drop to a tty and edit it, and re-start plasma.
Worst case, delete it entirely, and you will get a fresh desktop.
dzon
Registered Member
If it's a widget, it is one I've never seen before. In case it's not a widget or a conky, I've seen websites and web applications put this stuff on desktops.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
lyrapuff
Registered Member
It turned out to be conky, not a widget indeed
mparillo
Registered Member
OS
To the extent that Arch has defaults [1], conky (let alone that particular conkyrc) is not among them.

[1] I would argue that the closest thing Arch as to defaults is: base linux linux-firmware https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide
Each user can install additional packages. For example, my full plasma / KDE Apps (Gear) environment also includes:
vim sudo grub xdg-user-dirs plasma-meta kde-applications-meta sddm-kcm