This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

dirrefence between changing the resolution and scaling?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Anonymous Fox
I have a 1080 14inch laptop.
the text (and also icons) are too small by the default setting. (I think either linux should change the way it handles dpi (default 96dpi) or I need to not buy small laptops :}) )

I use the display configuration on the kde setting to change that. (changing the font dpi doesnt help with icons and doesnt help with firefox text.)
I usually used scaling to change that.
I recently changed my session to wayland from xorg.

now I noticed many things that are confusing me.

in wayland session gets zoomed by changing the resolution whether I use resolution downscaling to 720 or global scaling to 150% , in both cases my resolution changed to 720.
so for example a 720 picture in natual size would cover the screen exactly.

but in xorg when I use global scaling ,the elements gets zoomed but screen would still be 1080 pixel. so that when I open a 720 image in original size it would not cover the screen but a 1080 would.

why the difference?

also in wayland (which I am trying to use by default but still have many paper cuts) even though both zooms (resolutino changing and global scaling) make firefox and many apps see a 720 resolution, mpv movie players doesnt.

in global scaling when I use the 'i' key to see info when playing a 480p movie in full screen , in xorg it would say for example "native resolution :854X480" and "scaled resolution: 1980x1080"
and in wayland global scaling to 150% it would say: "scaled resolution: 2560x1438" and when changing the resolution to 720 it would say :1280x720

what is the difference between scaling and changing the resolution ? and why the difference between xorg and wayland.
does it have to do with xorg by default assuming 96dpi? wayland doesnt do that?

I remember seeing recently that xorg trying to "fix/change" the assuimtion about 96dpi by default (at least 5 years too late). would this make wayland and xorg work the same after that update?

does kde workaround that 96dpi? because I saw that after installation kde still assume 96 dpi by default in setting.
cant kde change this behavior and get the correct dpi from command outputs? maybe kde still gets this from :
xrdb -query | grep dpi
Xft.dpi: 96
and not calculate it from
xrandr | grep -w connected
XWAYLAND0 connected 1280x720+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 310mm x 170mm

cant kde use a physical scaling so that thing appear the same regardless of screen size or resolution ?
so that user doesnt have to use zoom on a 4k 13inch screen?

personally I think the xorg global scaling has the correct behavior, because user wants readable text not less dpi.

sorry for too long a post and rant.