This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Plasma elements flickering

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
suphanbarzani
Registered Member

Plasma elements flickering

Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:42 pm
Hi,
I recently upgraded my Debian from buster to bullseye, so I'm currently running Plasma 5.20.5. Everything always worked pretty good so far, but since the upgrade, I'm getting this annoying "flickering" in some Plasma elements (primarily in the bottom bar, and in the log back screen). Here are two videos ilustrating this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_G5CGAv0Eg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFGtfxi11to

I've tried reinstalling the plasma-desktop package and deleting the main config file, but with no success.

This is the info of my system:

Integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 and nVidia RTX2060, although I'm using Plasma with Intel Graphics
    X11
    One screen on external HDMI monitor connected to a dongle via mini displayport (it also happens on the laptop's screen
    Standard 1080 screen resolution
    Using i3 as window manager, but the problem still happens when using the KDE native WM

Any hint here?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by suphanbarzani on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Plasma elements flickering

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:42 pm
You need to be a tad more detailed on your graphic system (graphic card, driver used, X11 or Wayland, Monitor resolution, etc.) when asking questions about graphical problems

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
suphanbarzani
Registered Member

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:52 am
Mamarok wrote:You need to be a tad more detailed on your graphic system (graphic card, driver used, X11 or Wayland, Monitor resolution, etc.) when asking questions about graphical problems

Sure, thank you. I updated the OP.
pparentde
Registered Member

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:02 pm
Hi,

Just want to mention I have the exact same problem after upgrading to bullseye,. It's extremly anoying.

I've tried countless things found on the internet, none of them solved the problem.

Code: Select all
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-U GT2 [UHD Graphics] (rev 02)

I've reported the bug on debian here:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=996676
pparentde
Registered Member

Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:06 pm
I wonder wether the problem happens only when upgrading, or even when reinstalling debian 11 or using a live cd.

That really is a shame that no solution is being found for this problem. It is very probematic.
pparentde
Registered Member

Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:59 pm
Ok so I tested with a live cd, and it does not flicker. Then it's really the upgrade that broke something.

I would like to have the possibility to avoid reinstalling everything but sounds complicated.

I don't understand at all what config file may be the cause of the problem. At least I'm sure it's not user-side config file, cos creating a new user does not solve the problem. It's system side problem. Changing the display manager to lightdm does not help either.

Well I guess if i don't find I will reinstall the system.
pparentde
Registered Member

Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:41 pm
I eventually reinstalled debian, and everything is fine now.
suphanbarzani
Registered Member

Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:06 pm
Thank you for your trials and outcomes. It seems that reinstall will be the only solution for me too.