This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Prevent global shortcut from closing menus

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pintassilgo
Registered Member
I'm not sure if this is Plasma related, I'm new in Linux world and have no experience with other DEs.

I noticed that any global shortcuts close open menus, but they shouldn't. Two examples:

I use VLC with a custom global shortkey to play/pause (Ctrl+Shift+S). If I press it while Firefox contextmenu is visible, the menu closes, but it shouldn't react to the shortcut. If I close VLC and try again, the menu doesn't close, so it's clear that Firefox doesn't react to Ctrl+Shift+S, what is closing the menu is something in the system procedure to trigger a global shortcut. Withotu VLC open, there's no global shortcut for Ctrl+Shift+S, so menu doesn't close. It must be something in lower level, I don't know if its KDE's responasbility or even lower.

You can observe the same issue with any screenshoot tool that allows to take a screenshot with "0 delay". I can't take a screenshot of a visible menu this way using a shortcut like Print Screen, because the menu closes.

So there's something demanding active application to close open menu before triggering global shortcut. Which component is doing this and how to fix it?

Also, I noticed I can't trigger a global shortcut while a Plasma menu is open. For instance, if I have a global shortcut for Print Screen key, it doesn't work while any Dolphin's menu is visible. How to bypass this?