This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Widgets cannot be removed

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pjcamp
Registered Member

Widgets cannot be removed

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:15 pm
I accidentally got two network monitor widgets in my system tray. There appears to be no way to remove any widget. I've spent the last 2 hours searching for a solution. The Internet has a plethora of alternatives, seemingly one for each version of Plasma, and none of them work. That includes the one in the help document that came with Plasma.

For instance, the help document says "right click on the desktop and a small Plasma logo will appear in the bottom right corner." No it doesn't. Some people advise clicking the hamburger menu in the lower right corner, or the three dots menu in the same location. Those don't exist either. There are several different solutions to unlock the desktop/panel. None of them exist.

I'm about ready to ditch KDE for something else. This is basic functionality that (a) should be obvious to use, and (b) should not be a moving target. A rational solution would be the ability to right click on a widget and remove it. Can't do that either.

So far, the only solution I know will work is to remove KDE and start over. That seems like a drastic solution to a minor issue. Short of that, you can add widgets but you cannot remove them. What am I missing?
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Re: Widgets cannot be removed  Topic is solved

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:24 pm
Hi!

Just rightclick the panel, click "enter edit mode" and move the mouse over the tray without clicking. "Remove" and "Configure" should appear. There you can git configure and enable/disable entries you want to see.
If you have another network widget besides the one in the system tray, you can do the same. Mouse over and remove.

What version of Plasma do you use? What distribution?

btw: Rightclicking the desktop only edits the desktop itself, not the panel or other containments - or shows options for the folder view, if enabled. Depends on if you have chosen desktop or folder view in configure desktop and wallpaper → layout.