This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Other WM: Loaded walls always get covered since Plasma v5.25

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mito
Registered Member
OS
Dear all!

I use an alternative WM (= XMonad) for KDE Plasma (v.5.25) in X and hence am depending on 9 workspaces a.k.a. "virtual desktops". In other words, I have no further use of the newfashioned "activities", since I must use my own workspaces.

(Well, I in fact do have set up them as well, yet they seem not be very stable though. Occasionally it appears these "activities" don't show up at all. As well after Plasma version updates, it used to happen their configuration was gone and set to default [same goes for the virtual desktops as well]. – But as already mentioned, I hardly use them anyway.)

And along with these workspaces, I have had individual wallpapers. – Then with Plasma v5, in favour of these activities, individual wallpapers on individual Plasma virtual desktops were officially disabled; I don't like that, but that's not the point.

However, until Plasma v5.24 (I think), it was no problem to make an alternative desktop manager overwrite the wallpapers set by Plasma – so I was very happy to still have my workspaces AND individual workspace wallpapers, so I didn't mind.

Yet with Plasma 5.25 lately, this alternative desktop manager properly loads all wallpapers on all workspaces – but when Plasma finishes booting, they always get overwritten by the Plasma "virtual deskop" one!
Further, killing and restarting my alternative desktop manager from konsole, my wallpapers appear for a second and then get covered by the Plasma one again. Even invoking the alternative desktop manager with a leading "sleep" on startup like so:
Code: Select all
sleep 30; pcmanfm --desktop &
does not help. The wallpapers load but again get covered by Plasma then.

How to prevent this?
(Note: Since I don't use kdewm, virtual desktops cannot be configured via the KDE system settings, where this item is greyed out.)

As with systemd now, there must be also a way to change the default service for setting Plasma wallpapers, right? – IMO this could be possible in a similar way how to switch to another window manager as shown here.

Does anyone know which plasmashell service is accordingly handling the wallpapers? – I just can't find it and would like to give that one a try then.

Thanks in advance