This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Fresh install problems

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
JustCauseWhyNot
Registered Member

Fresh install problems

Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:06 pm
I'm using gentoo, and have installed kde-plasma/plasma-meta. When I start kde it starts correctly, but there's not any panels, widgets, and bars present by default. Then if I open up settings gui their aren't any icons on the left bar, and instead says no items found. No items found is something I see a lot. I'm not sure what to do, and what log's I need to share. I've read gentoo & arch wiki articles on kde, but following the instructions hasn't fixed the problem yet.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Re: Fresh install problems

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:01 pm
This is going to be very distro specific, so unless a Gentoo user here knows what bits are missing, you may need to inquire on a more gentoo-specific venue.

i am guessing you are missing some part(s) for some reason, and don't have the full set of needed components installed. But I can't say exactly what they would be, as I don't use Gentoo.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
JustCauseWhyNot
Registered Member

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:04 pm
I do think that it's probable that it's an issue with my install. But I've done everything right following the wiki, and it seem to sorta work. I just have the issues I do.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:29 pm
JustCauseWhyNot wrote:I do think that it's probable that it's an issue with my install. But I've done everything right following the wiki, and it seem to sorta work. I just have the issues I do.

So you need to find people with more knowledge on what that might be, and you will have better luck also asking in a place with more Gentoo users :)

This is forum is very Plasma-centric, and not specific to any one distro's methods for system management. There *are* Gentoo users in here, I am sure, but they may not see this post, so seeking assistance on a Gentoo forum in addition to here will get you more potential eyeballs :)

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
JustCauseWhyNot
Registered Member

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:32 pm
I've already asked on gentoo forums, and subreddit. They weren't able to help me. I'm hoping someone in this forum would know something. I don't expect gentoo specific help. I just wanted to know if the issue was a plasma issue.