This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

lock screen signal?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bozter
Registered Member

lock screen signal?

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:27 am
KDE screen lock will not lock the screen automatically if Firefox built-in player, or VirtualBox guest is running in fore-ground, VLC will be the same if the "disable screensaver" is on (default), so I guess it's some signals VLC sends to tell KDE continues to lock the screen, but not every software has the option like this, can I set KDE to lock the screen without the VLC signal?
bozter
Registered Member

Re: lock screen signal?

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:49 am
Any1 want the KDE screenlocker behave like Xscreensaver locking screen on time?
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:53 am
HI!

For programs not supporting it themself, you can use systemd-inhibit yourself for those.
bozter
Registered Member

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:50 pm
koffeinfriedhof wrote:HI!

For programs not supporting it themself, you can use systemd-inhibit yourself for those.

alisha@SHA:~> systemd-inhibit --list
WHO UID USER PID COMM WHAT WHY MODE
ModemManager 0 root 0000 n/a sleep ModemManager needs to reset devices delay
NetworkManager 0 root 0000 n/a sleep NetworkManager needs to turn off networks delay
PowerDevil 1001 alisha 0000 org_kde_powerde handle-power-key:handle-suspend-key:handle-hibernate-key:handle-lid-switch KDE handles power events block
Screen Locker 1001 alisha 0000 ksmserver sleep Ensuring that the screen gets locked before going to sleep delay

Which lock I should remove or add if I want FireFox built-in player is running while screen locker is still working?
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:43 pm
Sorry, I did misunderstand you. I thought you want to block the screensaver from running, not activate it. I do not know how firefox handles this, probably sending fake user activity.
bozter
Registered Member

Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:53 am
koffeinfriedhof wrote:Sorry, I did misunderstand you. I thought you want to block the screensaver from running, not activate it. I do not know how firefox handles this, probably sending fake user activity.

I think the delay mode is usefull as it'll ignore the lock.

Code: Select all
alisha@SHA:~>systemd-inhibit firefox --mode=delay
Failed to inhibit: Access deniedr

what's the error, and how to set the delay time?
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:31 am
Try
systemd-inhibit  --what idle --mode block --why "Dont want the screen locked" firefox

This will block idling as long as firefox is running, no matter what you do with it.
bozter
Registered Member

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:26 am
koffeinfriedhof wrote:Try
systemd-inhibit  --what idle --mode block --why "Dont want the screen locked" firefox

This will block idling as long as firefox is running, no matter what you do with it.

Thank you. What if I like to Lock the screen automatically when any unlisted (not in systemd-inhibit --list) program (firefox, vbox, media players ...) is running?
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:00 am
This should work out of the box. If it doesn't you have to investigate. I do not really know how. The idle time can be reset by any input device, systemd sockets, programmatically (fake key press or mouse movement). Could be hard to track down.
bozter
Registered Member

Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:49 am
I have to move to Xscreensaver so any thing can lock.