This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

upgrading plasma in Debian 11 / Bullseye?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
atorrey
Registered Member
Hello,
I have been attempting to upgrade my desktop machine w/ an SSD and going from Debian 10 (buster) to 11 (Bullseye) with a KDE windowing system. I've been having a lot of issues and ended up doing a complete install from scratch using an 11.4.0 + non-free DVD, updated to latest stable. I have been having huge problems with KDE hanging in a variety of inconsistent and annoying ways. >:(

I posted about this on the "ItsFOSS Community" forum, and the response I got there suggested that my problem might be that Debian Stable is on Plasma 5.20.5, which appears to be relatively old.

Is there a way to upgrade the version of Plasma I'm running to the now current 5.25.5? ???

I switched to Debian from Kubuntu a long time back for several reasons, and really would prefer to stay on Debian, but I also want a windowing system that doesn't hang on me every few minutes....

Thanks,
ART
KomraDE
Registered Member
OS
atorrey wrote:complete install from scratch using an 11.4.0 + non-free DVD, updated to latest stable. I have been having huge problems with KDE hanging in a variety of inconsistent and annoying ways. >:(

...problem might be that Debian Stable is on Plasma 5.20.5

Same versions here but usually it's working well and consistently. What problems do you actually have? KSystemLog shows anything?

BTW, you know the tale of FrankenDebian, eh? ;)
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Did that quite often myself back then but things usually ended really bad and with re-installing :'( Nowadays I grab app images or Wine oder VM if I need something special... (other than that, did you try SID or testing?)

Take a good look, children. It will prepare you for your adult lives in our nightmarish corporate system.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
atorrey wrote:Hello,
I have been attempting to upgrade my desktop machine w/ an SSD and going from Debian 10 (buster) to 11 (Bullseye) with a KDE windowing system. I've been having a lot of issues and ended up doing a complete install from scratch using an 11.4.0 + non-free DVD, updated to latest stable. I have been having huge problems with KDE hanging in a variety of inconsistent and annoying ways. >:(

I posted about this on the "ItsFOSS Community" forum, and the response I got there suggested that my problem might be that Debian Stable is on Plasma 5.20.5, which appears to be relatively old.

Is there a way to upgrade the version of Plasma I'm running to the now current 5.25.5? ???

I switched to Debian from Kubuntu a long time back for several reasons, and really would prefer to stay on Debian, but I also want a windowing system that doesn't hang on me every few minutes....

Thanks,
ART

You more or less need use Sid to get the latest Plasma on Stable.
Or look to third parties, at your own risk of course
Norbert Preining still seems to be doing his thing
https://www.preining.info/blog/
But building new stuff on old stuff might well just create different issues as opposed to fixing old ones.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001