This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Fingerprint scanner works intermittently

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Twelve Badgers in a Suit
Registered Member
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 running Fedora 36 and I recently installed KDE Plasma 5. For the most part, it seems a lot better than GNOME. The one exception is that it doesn't seem to like my fingerprint reader. When the screen is locked, either becauze I locked it or becauze I've restored the laptop from sleep mode, it just shows a password box; no mention of the existence of a fingerprint reader. I have tried touching the fingerprint reader anyway, but nothing happened.

I thought at first that it might just not like the fingerprint I registered under GNOME for some reazon, so I cleared it out and re-registered it. I was able to do this through the Plasma system settings interface without any issues. The fingerprint enrollment dialog responded every time I touched the fingerprint reader, which I don't think it would if there were driver or permissions issues, and it now says I have a registered right index finger. However, I didn't notice any change in the lock screen behaviour at first.

Since then, occasionally -- maybe every 10 or 15 times I see the lock screen -- it says "Scan your right index finger" above the password box. And, in theze cases, if I touch the fingerprint scanner, it does unlock. Most of the time, though, there is no such message and touching the fingerprint scanner does nothing.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, here. Most of the search rezults for KDE and fingerprint, both on Google and on this forum, explain how to fix driver or permission issues; and, since it works sometimes, I doubt that's it. (Feel free to tell me if there's anything wrong with that reazoning.) I did make some changes to the /etc/pam.d/sddm file based on one such article, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance for your attention.