This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Frozen

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dzon
Registered Member

Frozen

Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:30 pm
Since I started using linux as a daily somewhere around 2005, I've seen my share of desktop environments disintegrating and crashing. That's why I always, always keep an openbox setup up and running. Now, as far as DE bugs and stuff go, I was lucky I didn't have toooo many probs with kde. But it still is, imo, the buggiest around. I've said it before, those kde devs should skip a load of versions, skip introducing **** s... no one gives a damn about and focus on fixing stuff which hasn't been adressed in a loooong while. Anywho, today I experienced a total freeze for the first time ever. It didn't occur after an update or anything. It just happened while minding my own business, doing my usual stuff on the computer. Out of the blue, boom, done. Except for a mouse pointer everything was still. No high cpu, no warning....etc..no logout/reboot..no keyboard...nothing. A hard reboot resulted in exactly the same non-responsive....well, wallpaper with a panel. So, I can't check for anything since..well, there isn't anything available. Now, the only solution is to get the, now, useless partition repopulated with a new desktop. I'm..ok with that, I guess. But here's the thing, the "minding my business" I mentioned was some financial and um....that IS a problem. I'm going to reinstall the same kubuntu 22.10 against reasonable thinking but I'm hardly eager to do more financial stuff on it. Like I said, I had my share of desktop environments weirdness along the years, but not once, ever, I experienced something like this. Thank god for openbox, to my knowledge the only thing in linux world that doesn't get updated, because it's a finished, feature complete product. Something which kde is...um...let's say, not. Whereas, for my personal needs, I favor it over others, as far as DE's go. But I don't recommend it to newbies at all. The risk for angry phone calls or e-mails or whatever isn't worth it. I'm not saying something like this freeze couldn't happen in another environment but, o boy, kde's sure as hell shown me more than enough that it's still quite buggie. And like I said, this kind of freeze is the first.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.